Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has a DSC1/2 ever been used in court as example of competance?

Has a DSC1/2 ever been used in court as example of competance?

Hi All,

As the title says..has it been done? Looked on various legal websites and nothing has shown up.

I am really looking at duty of care issues, HSE legislation and occcupiers liability

Kind regards

William

I would seriously doubt it as DMQ are not recognised as providers of anything other than informal training unlike LANTRA. I have met plenty of incompetent Level 2 stalkers.

HME

If someone was injured you would have to prove you were not negligent on that day, having a bit of paper that says on a certain day you did this and that is irrelevant, other wise we would not have traffic offensives,

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    Hi All,

As the title says..has it been done? Looked on various legal websites and nothing has shown up.

I am really looking at duty of care issues, HSE legislation and occcupiers liability

Kind regards

William
    I suspect it is only a matter of time before it is. There are some serious "heavy weights" backing the credibility and integrity of the DSC 1 & DSC2 qualifications such that a holder would I am sure be regarded as achieving a proven level of competence.
    I can remember many, sometimes heated debates several years ago with people adamant that the DSC's would never be held in any esteem and never be required for any syndicate or leased stalking, they were certainly wrong there. Then the argument switched to "well the DCS will never acknowledge them" and of course they did.
    It is going to happen sooner or later Wills despite what some people think.

As per the OP, a legal emphasis has been put on these qualifications and as yet there has been none as per my original post. DMQ are not a legally recognised body.

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    As per the OP, a legal emphasis has been put on these qualifications and as yet there has been none as per my original post. DMQ are not a legally recognised body.
    Hi, who are "DMQ" and what is the "OP" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hi, who are "DMQ" and what is the "OP" ?
    OP = Original Poster (top of thread)
    DMQ = Deer Management Qualifications (DMQ) exists to promote high standards in the humane management of wild deer. This objective is supported by the deer industry and is achieved by providing candidates with the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge and competence through Deer Stalking Certificates: DSC1 and DSC2. (see DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management) atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    Hi All,

Kind regards

William
    Does a driving licence prove you are a good driver? No.

I have a guy on a permission next to one of mine who has DSC1 who, in my opinion, is incompetent and also bloody dangerous. It is only end March and already this year I have shot two wounded munties and earlier this week one farmer said he had seen another in a copse - which I haven't caught up with yet.

I haven't got DSC1 (although it is on my list when money and time allow) but I know many competent stalkers who haven't either.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Just a quick question on this one without wanting to "hijack" this thread - Would the situation and the legal standing of the DSC 1 and 2 change if the police have their way in something I have heard from several forums?
    I have heard several "rumours" that at some time in the future the police will require DSC level 1 before authorising a "Deer Shooting Rifle" on a FAC. If this does come to pass then surely the police will be giving some legal weight to the DSC by recognising it as a !qualification"!
    I have to say that I think this is unlikely to happen and if it does it will be a sad day for shooters, but if it were ever to happen what would your thoughts be on it?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Just a quick question on this one without wanting to "hijack" this thread - Would the situation and the legal standing of the DSC 1 and 2 change if the police have their way in something I have heard from several forums?
    I have heard several "rumours" that at some time in the future the police will require DSC level 1 before authorising a "Deer Shooting Rifle" on a FAC. If this does come to pass then surely the police will be giving some legal weight to the DSC by recognising it as a !qualification"!
    I have to say that I think this is unlikely to happen and if it does it will be a sad day for shooters, but if it were ever to happen what would your thoughts be on it?
    Neither the Deer or Firearms Acts apparently require you have any qualifications to shoot deer. IMO any such requirement dictated by a Chief of Police would be unduly restrictive contrary to Home Office Guidance. If the law is to be amended the proper place for this is via Parliamentary debate and vote in the conventional manner, not by the undemocratic dictate of the police. atb Tim