Best Parker Hale bullet weight and style

rsako

Hi folks

Yup...i'm the one with the "cool" grooved PH in 30.06 over the pond here in Canuck land.
Search up "weird grooves" in the Rifles and Calibres section if your interested.

The weather is finally smartening up and the boy and i will be hitting the range soon with "new to him" PH Safari Deluxe.

We reload our Sako's LOTS, and easily produce sub MOA. But it's our first PH. I was wondering what bullet weight and style/brand/type seem to work best in these old PH's given barrel lenght, twist and shallow grooves.

Give me a starting point...and what should we expect for 100 yrd accuracy in these old girls?

Many thanks as always.

Personally I would try a 165grain bullet in the 30-06 and something like H4350/IMR 4350 or H4381/IMR 4381.

Parker-Hale claimed that all their rifles would produce a minimum of 1 1/2" grouping with Norma factory ammunition at 100 Yards. So MOA or under should not be too hard to achieve with hand loads.

Perfect.. I happen to have plenty of H4831sc on hand. Just need to pick up some bullets.

any particular style of 165's that ride down the bore better? shorty's like Sierra's or long like Barnes or Scirocco's?

I have only just started reloading for my p h 1100 in 308. Ive gone for 165 grain sierra game kings and so far have halved the group size of factory ammo. So as your used to reloading im sure you will improve on this

Regards pj

I used Speers #2035 but I like flat based bullets. Allowing for it's age and that it will have some wear in the barrel the longer bearing surface of a flat based bullet might be helpful.

I have only ever used std Cup and Core bullets. I really do not see the need for the fashionable bonded and mono metal bullets for deer sized game.

does Norma sell their SP bullets separately at all? in fact, it's probably one of the most consitently performing and perfect mushrooming bullets I've ever seen/used. Of course, I've only used that one in factory ammo format, but wouldn't hesitate to reload it for a split second.

in my 270 i have used speer grand slams , seirra gamekings, hornady interlocks,remmington corelokt and all perform well in 130,140,150 grain i have a stock of these and will continue to use them ,atb wayne

Norma make and offer bullets and cases as components however getting the importer to actually bring them in is another matter entirely.

A PH Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag came into the trading post yesterday. Nice shape and cheap, but I don't like the caliber....~Muir

Muir,

Depending upon what you call cheap it might be a wise buy.

And may I ask what is wrong with 7mm as a calibre?

I do believe you mean that your not fond of the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge ;).

Am just thinking I might know of someone interested is such a rifle in the US :D. need more info about price etc though.

I have a PH in 30.06 i reload with hodgon h4895 at minimum charge published on the hodgon load tables with 150 gn sierra pro hunter @ .30off the lands works for me. also load 125gn sierra pro hunter at minimum charge and 150gn nosler bt at minimum charge.

Thanks Gents. I'll pick up some speers or sierras and give 'em a try. Will keep you posted on results.

Hi folks,

Just a quick range report here:

The old "Weird Grooved" Parker Hale is much more than we both expected!! Holy cow! and we hunt with sub moa Sako's for god sake.

here goes:

We needed a "bench mark" with this ol' girl...so we shot some factory 165 gr Win and some 180 gr Fed's factory ammo today. Well, as it turned out the Factory 180 performed MOA and Sub MOA repeatedly!

What a surprise! My son could easily shoot 3-4 rounds out of the cold barrel into less than 1 inch groups. This Safari model is topped with a 1.5 - 5 VX3 Leopold! Pretty darn good in my eyes.

off on a biz trip tomorrow...will report back once we roll a few handloads through it. Very happy :)

unreal...

Back