20 years of reloading stupidity... saved from by Big Steve

Paul at Fechan

I have just realised that reloading the many thousands of rounds I have used with powder scales to weigh each charge was possibly the most stupid, tight and stubborn mind set thinking thing I will ever have done. Big Steve bought a lee powder measure and scales from th US and got two sets delivered from Lee in error and being a mate gave me one of each for free. Now, sceptical as I am about such things I set it up and tested the measure with lots of throws surprised at the accuracy of each throw, away I went. With my buckets of primed brass fetched out I went mental.

Last night I charged and loaded:

123 .308 150grn sst's,
27 .375 h&h 250grn Gamekings
30 .375 h&h 300grn

The 1kg tub of vit 140 I had got battered and I apologise to all those people who said to get a powder measure over the years to which I always said I was happy with the scales, ignorant to how good they were and too tight to spend cash. Thank you Big Steve for a life changing gift. :tiphat:

Whatever.................................. I have an RCBS Uniflow measure in a drawer as didn't have the space to mount it in the mobile home so have been loading using Lee Scoops and scales. It works and I have never really bothered about the time loading takes. Tis all part and parcel of the whole part of Shooting, collecting and stalking to me.

I couldn't be without my digital scales now, it has made me obsessed with powder weight accuracy- not sure thats a good thing though, ignorance is bliss and the rounds shot perfectly well before - but now i just know :coat:

Ahhh more gadgets to lighten the pocket :rolleyes:.

I could not be bothered with digital scales... More batteries or things to charge and more to go wrong. Nope the old beam jobbies will see me out thank you.

My loading bench of nearly 40 years.
Different Uniflos set for various rifles.
HWH.

P1000738.jpg

Serious or what, what about secure storage of powder!!!!!!!!!!!

No offence ment.

I used to weigh all my loads but now use my Lee Powder Thrower, weigh every 10th but its never out (Varget).

D

Holy cow H, that's the stuff of dreams. Wish I had a room like that. Hell at the rate of progression in my scheme of reloading it's never going to happen.

Cyres.
Offence taken !
A cold, locked cellar.
How much more security does the powder need ?
Besides, few low-lifes would steal a few tubs of powder when a nice array of modern saleable electronic gear is available upstairs.

HWH.

Last edited:
Serious or what, what about secure storage of powder!!!!!!!!!!!D

I take it that you weren't going to suggest that powder or primers should be secured or should I say contained within a steel security cabinet were you?

Back to the opening subject, I bought a Lyman DPSII (secondhand - there's a mistake!) and it's the worst thing I could have purchased.
The weights thrown all say for example "41.0gr" but when it's checked on my RCBS 5:0:2 scale they are all up to +/- 1.8gr out, it rarely throws an accurate load.

I've contacted Lyman and they weren't keen on a repair/replacement as they want everyone to purchase the DPSIII don't they?

So, until I can afford an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 I will carry on with a Redding powder thrower and trickler!

Paul
\I have had a Lee perfic powder thrower and have being very happy with it for years. I bought a Lyman powder thrower last year and still use the Lee which I find is better and cheaper than Lyman and the rest!!

Bob

Was thinking about reloading but haveing to buy all that gear i don't think it will be cheaper

Well Sir you are incorrect .
I have been at it since 1961 when I got my first stalking rifle and have added and upgraded my gear over that time-scale.
There is plenty of cheap S/H gear for sale on this site which will save you money and get you started at a moderate cost.
Currently I re-load for 4 other persons also and over the years I have shot thousands of deer and vermin species with my own product.
Killing things cleanly and sometimes winning competitions with an item made by yourself is very satisfying and akin to catching a large, crafty old Trout on a fly tied by your own hand.

HWH.

My loading bench of nearly 40 years.
Different Uniflos set for various rifles.
HWH.

P1000738.jpg
Stag: I noticed you have the world's finest beam scale on the shelf. Ohaus, correct? I have the same scale. Scarce as hens' teeth here.

Paul: I gave up weighing each charge decades ago. Welcome to less fussing and more shooting.~Muir

Back