Thread: replacing mauser extractor collar

replacing mauser extractor collar

I've now received my new machined mauser k98/m98 extractor collar from the US of A.

I've taken the old sheet metal junk off the BRNO ZKK bolt and started to clear up the galling and very rough edges under it, now before I try to install the new extractor collar, which BTW 'should' smooth up bolt operational travel significantly, does anyone know if the machined mauser one's need to be snapped on, or will the steel break? otherwise, do you slightly heat the steel before opening and snapping on to avoid it breaking?

sorry, I know it's pretty simple, just don't want to ruin it now it's finally arrived

Gunsmiths usually have a special pair of pliers to fit these which open the ring up to snap over the bolt body.. Why not ask the vendor how they should be fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Gunsmiths usually have a special pair of pliers to fit these which open the ring up to snap over the bolt body.. Why not ask the vendor how they should be fitted?
    Thanks BH,..about vendor...sleeazybay, so probably won't know...LOL might still email and ask of course.

"outer" circlic pliers should do the job. cheap at Maplin

would imagine heat would remove the spring temper. long way to open though

I must have misread, I thought you had bought the collar that wraps the bolt and the extractor slides onto.

what did you buy?

the collar that goes in the red circle or the extractor claw itself?

they make some "outer circlip" type pliers for this purpose.
    Mauser Extractor Collar Pliers

I just prised mine off as it is quite soft metal.

Yeah, it's the extractor collar that fits into the slot you showed. The standard sheet metal one I had on was terrible, but a machined one as a replacement (a proper Mauser one) should do the trick. getting the old one off was easy, as you just bend it off, but the proper quality ones are not so 'bendy' (hence the quality). make just ask a smith to fire it on for me if they have a tool already.

where did you get it?