Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: groups using varget

groups using varget

hi all i shot 3 groups of rounds today using varget powder cci primers and sierra prohunter 100 grain bullets the first group using 31.2 grainsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1st group.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	14123 the second using 32.7 grains Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd group.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	14124 and the third using 34.1 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd group.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	14125i had a slight wind from left to right, im thinking the best group is the 3rd using the 34.1 just wondering where to go from here to improve the group. The calibre is 243 regards tony
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

change powder to 38.1 grains of N140

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    What is your jump to the lands? What distance was this? I prefer your 32.7 particularly as you've talked about the wind and it's possible you've pulled it a little.

N140 is for fair weather shooters! Varget will not be effected half as much with temperature from winter to summer. You are limited with the amount of info you can glean from 3 groups of 3 shots. Look up ladder testing on google. There is a few ways of doing it so I won't try and explain on here.

....and don't worry about bullet seating depth until you have found a more suitable powder measure. So long as you are keeping things consistent you will still be able to narrow it down using ladder testing.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    What is your jump to the lands? What distance was this? I prefer your 32.7 particularly as you've talked about the wind and it's possible you've pulled it a little.
    the distance is 100 yards not sure about jump to the lands cos im a novice i did measure a federal powershock round and have loaded to that lenght as the fed rounds seem most accurate. rifle is a tikka 595 i will look up ladder testing now regards tony
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    ...not sure about jump to the lands cos im a novice....
    If you are not sure about making ammo get a good reloading book such as this one, http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-ABCs-Reloading-Bill-Chevalier/dp/0896896099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333142213&sr=8-1

It is money well spent. I wouldn't reccomend taking advise off a forum until you are sure of the basics. (you might already be but I thought I had better say it)

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    How did you measure your bullet? Bullet length and ogive vary considerably between manufacturers. Are you checking your cases for signs of too much pressure? Too roughly set your jump to the lands you can:
    1. size a case
    2. then insert a head ( but only just )
    3. then chamber it and see if the bolt closes.
    4. If not seat it 1/2 a turn more then check again.
    Eventually your bolt will close. Then give your die another 1/2 turn in and your about there.
    It's much easier with a Stoney point thingy, but then it's just another gismo, but it does take alot of the guesswork out.
    Then do different powder loads in groups of 5x as you can gauge you results a little better.

if you haven't got a gauge and modded case. just start at factory mag length and work from there

can I recommend starting by seating the bullet 1 calibre deep, ie. .243" down into the neck, it's a good baseline benchmark to start from, and I believe a lot of accurate hunting loads are 'around' that mark anyway. I'd maybe make up 5 rounds in .5 increments to keep it simple, such as 32.5, 33, 33.5, 34, 34.5, 35 checking for pressure signs and keeping within recommended limits- I bet you'll find one of these giving a perfectly acceptable result. 96% of max recommended load usually gets best results, give or take. don't shoot in wind, have a dead solid rest, and let the barrel cool properly between not only shots, but series. if you change anything, ensure only ONE variable is changed at a time.

just my opinion, but you're looking for a hunting load here, not a competition winning load.