Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seized screws

Seized screws

I just read a post about a chap who had seized screws on a scope setup. In the case of phillips, pozidrive, or even old fashioned slotted screws try the following before you completely wreck the head: Pop down to your local motor factor and buy a small tin of valve grinding paste. Dip the tip of the screwdriver in the paste and try again. The carborundum paste bites into the contact face of the screw and driver giving much greater friction, and therefor much less chance of the bit slipping out of the groove/slot. Also be sure to buy a new, and correct bit or screwdriver.

Oh I almost forgot,,,,,,,,DON'T GET ANY GRINDING PASTE ON THE WORKING PARTS OR BARREL OF YOUR RIFLE, AND IF YOU DO, BE SURE TO WASH IT WELL CLEAR BEFORE USE.

Good tip!

I'd add that using a bit that correctly fits the screw is also essential. A good set of gunsmith's screwdriver bits is very useful.

Alex

Another tip is to place the screw driver head into the screw slot and give it a couple of LIGHT taps with a small hammer, helps to start the loosening process.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

[QUOTE=tjwaines;351972]Another tip is to place the screw driver head into the screw slot and give it a couple of LIGHT taps with a small hammer, helps to start the loosening process.[/QUOTE

+ 1 on that tip.

or if it is a non gun related screw you could use the above method which when done with force was known as "the Manchester Screwdriver" by my Grandfather
    he would hold the corner of teh screwdriver head on one end of the slot and at an angle and then whack it with the hammer!!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    or if it is a non gun related screw you could use the above method which when done with force was known as "the Manchester Screwdriver" by my Grandfather
    he would hold the corner of teh screwdriver head on one end of the slot and at an angle and then whack it with the hammer!!
    A Manchester screw driver is a hammer round our way!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Put a small amount off easit oil in the screw recess and let it oak overnight usually works for me

Mark

We used to call a hammer a Sutcliffe!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martinl View Post
    We used to call a hammer a Sutcliffe!!!!!!!!!
    oo nasty....
    I assume in reference to a certain Yorkshire based criminal's extra curricular use of them?