Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best deer round for 6.5

Best deer round for 6.5

Hi there,
    I have a 6.5 x 55 swede, and have been using Remington core lokt 139 grain this last season. A few lads on our lease were saying I should change to Norma oryx 159 grain. I was wondering what other form users felt about these rounds and what they would recommend?
    All stalking is for Sika and normal sots are taken between 70 and 200 yards, rifle is a tikka t3 lite.
    Cheers
    Bi io

Bibio i have used 140 grain in federal, hornady, remington, not a great round for sika, the best factory round i have used is the Norma 120 grain btips they are more explosive than the ones above, damage is still exceptable.

I was using 95grain vmax homeloads last season, great round for neck shooting, if i were you id get the 120 grain norma they are expensive but are definitley worth the money.

wicklow202

120gr Norma is the answer.

I have shot about 25 Sika over the past three years with the same 120gr bullet in my 260. No significant runners at all. Just about perfect.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

We all have our preferences but, as usual, I must ask the hard question: What kind of performance were you getting from the Remington that has convinced you to change brands? Does it not work well in the Tikka? ~Muir

It could be a bit of self doubt creeping in, the core lokt isnt a bad round and i have shot a lot of sika with it, but seemed to have a lot more runners this season, accuracy was good, bullet placement also good. Im just thinking of a bullet that might put them down a bit quicker. The two rounds I hear most positive comments on are the oryx 156 and the bt 120.

I've never used the Oryx in mine, as the rifle didn't like them: but I can vouch for the efficacy in my limited experience of the 120gr BT Norma load on reds (and a couple of Sika).

I might be mistaken, but I've always thought of the big long bullets loaded by Norma as more moose-related, and therefore perhaps likely to be prone to underexpansion in our very much smaller animals. No such problem with the 120gr BTs, though.

I'd go for the Seeker round myself

+1 on the 120grn Norma

Quote Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
    It could be a bit of self doubt creeping in, the core lokt isnt a bad round and i have shot a lot of sika with it, but seemed to have a lot more runners this season, accuracy was good, bullet placement also good. Im just thinking of a bullet that might put them down a bit quicker. The two rounds I hear most positive comments on are the oryx 156 and the bt 120.
    I see. I ask because over my shooting career I've seen a lot of good hunters begin chasing their own tails when it comes to loads or ammunition, only to find themselves tired and back where they started. You dressed those deer that didn't drop on the spot: was there sufficient damage? My daughter broke the shoulder joint and pulped the heart of a good sized whitetail last fall and it still managed to make it about 30 yards before collapsing. There are some deer that just refuse to lay down no matter how they are hit. The Core Loct bullets are decent bullets. They account for a lot of game here in the US.

If you do go to a different bullet, I'd stick with the lighter ones. I agree that the 156 and 160's will not give the kind of quick kills you guys like and are intended for heavier game or very oblique-angled shots. My sleepy 2-cents worth....~Muir.

Part of the "perceived" problem is that Remington load their 6.5x55 to rather low pressures as do most if not all American manufacturers. While Norma load it with more zest and more velocity.