Is my night-time eyesight rubbish?

Mat

Stalked up to 3 roe does at last light, I ended up not taking a shot, my guide said he could see clearly through his swarovski binos, all I could see was an indistinct blur, no amount of fiddling with the zoom or parallax helped. I don't think it was my Leupold scope, nor exit pupil (I tried at 3.5 x 40). I tried his rifle and that was no better. In the end I had a look through the swarovski binos and everything was still out of focus.

It's not like I have bad eyesight during the day, I am slightly shortsighted (-1.5) with a smidgeon of astigmatism, but corrected, at 6/6 (20/20).

Slightly disappointed, though glad I didn't take an iffy shot, even if I haven't shot anything yet...

Any thoughts?

Mat
the biggest problem as it gets dark not many people realise how hard it is to focus
unless you are doing a lot of low light shooting then you will be as blind as a bat untill you become accustumed to the situation
if you don't believe me try flighting duck , then see how bad it gets, experienced duck flighters shooting well into the night after you gave up the ghost over an hour earlier
as for shooting deer that late into the evening , you were rigt not to take the shot and your guide should of known better i'm afraid
his desperation to get you your first deer overides his actuall proffessionalism and that could spoil the whole evening or even the whole adventure
one day you will get there, but untill then enjoy it
more deer are lost at low light than any other time
your time will come, honest

I probably spend too much time in front of a computer... That can't help!

Hopefully better luck tomorrow morning :)

It might be worth getting an optician to check you out.

I worked with a bloke who had some sort of problem where he had pretty normal daytime vision and very bad low light vision. No idea what was wrong but don't think it was a progressive disease or anything, just the way he was.

I have a S&B 8X56 and it is capable of shooting long after my naked eye can spot deer but I always feel that once it gets to that stage it is better just to call it quits, though others are extremely successful almost into the pitch black. I guess you just have to go with what you are comfortable with.

Matt, Had exactly the same problem. The answer - optician. I now wear glasses at all times whilst stalking and surprise surprise I am shooting a lot more deer simply because I am now seeing what I missed before.
I have found that looking through the scope whilst in a prone position it appears to be an oval picture mainly because you are looking through the top part of the lense. Does not effect the crosshairs nor accuracy.
If this is your probelm you will be amazed.

If you shoot at last light, find it hard to see and don't have a dog available you will stand a good chance of not finding a beast that runs when hit. You will probably find it next morning but not fit for entering food chain then.

Been there once and now restrict myself to good light until dog trained. Even then will be careful about ensuring enough light to extract beasts easily.

Bob

Many years ago I was sitting up a high seat looking across a 100yd clearing waiting for a beast to show itself.
I was shutting one eye and twiddling the focus control of the binocs., doing each eye in turn.
It semed as if the left lense was dirty as I was getting a poor picture with that eye.
I turned the binoculars over and looked through the other lense and found it was the same.

I went to see an optician the next day and he diagnosed GLAUCOMA .
Even after years of eye drops etc. it got steadily worse and I am now almost blind in the left eye .
They finally agreed to let me have an operation on my failing right eye when my left eye was buggered. [ N.I.C.E. policy. ]
That too is on the way out ,I am losing vision down over and cannot see the top bar on a Duplex reticle.
They knew I was slowly going blind but did not allow an operation at that time .
With hindsight [curious word in the circumstances ] I should have taken independent advice and gone private .
When I was diagnosed with heart problems I DID go private for open heart surgery , it was done in 6 weeks from start to finish but cost £15 K.
With the other experience what could I do ? [ I was out hunting Roe Does today and am nearly 76 . ]

I would say to you go and see a good optician , you may be lucky and only have a minor problem but at least you will know earlier.
Good luck.

HWH.

Thanks for the advice, I am definitely a tad overdue for an eye test... Will book one soon.

This morning was not much better, the guide (a different chap) spotted a couple of roe at the edge of dark field at first light. We were within 150 yards and it was practically light before I could see them :eek:

Sadly, it was a pregnant roe doe with buck. The buck was definitely taunting me, it was nicely positioned for ages. Later we saw another pregnant doe with 3 young bucks. I'll be back on 1st April methinks...

I am short sighted and suffer the same problem except mine is in broad daylight ask Wadas :lol:

Seriously though my eyesight is quite badly shortsighted and I have to have special coatings for night driving maybe it would help for shooting also?

Since I stopped wildfowling my night vision has gone to pot...I guess it's a case of use it or lose it.

A guy called Bates in the late 19thC came up with the idea that you could correct most eye problems with excercises. I tried it some years ago and did have moderate success...but it's hard work. I guess the answer might be spend more time in the gloom.

Back