Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any Zeiss experts out there?

any Zeiss experts out there?

bit confused by all the different codes.
    I know what the Diatal and Diavari denotes but on the Diatal fixed mag scopes they seem to have a variety of supplementary codes. not sure if these are dependant on location of manufacture or what

what are ZF's and ZA's and T*?

I'm no expert, but T* is a lens coating.

Neil.

No expert but I DO know you need a Mortgage to buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    No expert but I DO know you need a Mortgage to buy new.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Why?
    Why??? .............................. just look at the prices.

I darn near had a heart attack when I looked at Air Rifle prices last week. 450 for a spring powered air rifle is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    bit confused by all the different codes.
    I know what the Diatal and Diavari denotes but on the Diatal fixed mag scopes they seem to have a variety of supplementary codes. not sure if these are dependant on location of manufacture or what

what are ZF's and ZA's and T*?
    ZA's are old type models. (The Z is Zielfernrohr = riflescope).

T* is the multi layer lens coatings introduced in 1979. Diatal is fixed mag scopes, Diavari are variable mag scopes. If you see P* on binoculars this indicates that the roof prism has phase correction (introduced in 1988 by Zeiss). All roof prism binoculars have phase coated / corrected coatings. The 52 number and remaining digits at the beginning is the product code, if you see a number 52xxxx -9906-000 then the 9906 indicates a reticle 6 (as found in the Duralyt which is an non illumated reticle). The Varipoint and Duralyt IR series is an illuminated reticle which you can use during the day or at dusk, the "standard" illuminated reticle is for use in low light (you may not see the illuminated reticle in day conditions), found in the Classic series and Victory series (2.5-10x50 & 3-12x56). The new HT models contains an illuminated reticle which you can use during the day day or at dusk. The HT range replaces the current Varipoint (exception being the Varipoint ic which remains).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mak; 02-04-2012 at 06:52.

great, that is just what I was after,

when did ZA becoem ZF then?
    what is the relationship between Zeiss and "jena"?

did they make them in west and east germany? can you get hungarian ones too?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    great, that is just what I was after,

when did ZA becoem ZF then?
    what is the relationship between Zeiss and "jena"?

did they make them in west and east germany? can you get hungarian ones too?
    There is no relationship between Carl Zeiss and Carl Zeiss Jena, except the original factory for Carl Zeiss was based in Jena, at the end of WWII, the scientists were given a limited time to collect their families & belongings to move to the new Allied controlled area. A majority of thw workers remained in what was to become the Communist controlled area (East Germany). This East German company became known as Zeiss Jena VEB and a new Carl Zeiss (West Germany) was sited in Oberkochen. In 1964 the Carl Zeiss production of binoculars and riflescopes moved to the "Hensoldt" factory in Wetzlar (which is where the current models are still manufactured). Hensoldt had been part of the Carl Zeiss group since the early 1920's. At the re-unification of Germany, Zeiss Jena became known as Jenoptik. Doctor Optik then started manufacturing some riflescopes from part of the old Jena factory, but Doctor are certainly not part of Carl Zeiss. Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars and riflescopes are not connected to Carl Zeiss. Hensoldt is now Carl Zeiss Optroniks Wetzlar (hand held solutions) and Carl Zeiss riflescopes and binoculars is now known as Carl Zeiss Sports Optics GmbH. Both companies operating out of the same factory, but independant of one another.

The factory in Hungary is a ZEISS factory.

ZA did not become ZF. This is two separate abbreviations. ZF is generally used by Optroniks for their riflescopes..

Forgot to add: If you see Victory V 3-12x56 then see Victory VM 3-12x56. The VM indicates that the scope comes with an inner rail. V = for ring mounting, VM = for rail mounting.
    Last edited by mak; 02-04-2012 at 14:07.

I like zeiss optics, but their names and codes that makes it impossible to tell the various series and ranges apart angers me profusely! S&B are therefore likely to be getting my business in the future. It's as simple as that which can turn a customer off.

The Germans have always liked their precise designations..................................... I doubt that they will change or even capable of changing it as it's built into them ................................... the people that is.