Getting velocity out my .270

laird86

I am having problems getting good velocity out my .270 when loading, roughly getting 400fps short of book, I have a sako 85 with a 20inch barrel, I have tried h4350 and N160 anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
Kris​

Last edited:
Tis an easy one use faster powders.

However you had better face it that it appears you have a "Slow" barrel.

In my 20" barrelled BSA CF2 I used H380 to good effect. H380 can be used with 130, 140 and 150 grain bullets.

Most of the quoted velocities assume a 24" barrel, so you will always be under these with a 20" barrel - try 60gns of H4831SC and a CCI BR2 large rifle primer under a 130gn bullet. That recipe gives me 3000FPS from my 20" barrelled .270 but the load is near max' so you might want to start at 59 gns and work up although dead-on 60gns seems to be the sweet spot in most .270 I've tried this in.

Adam.

Hi Laird,

I have the same rifle and calibre.

I use 60gr H4831sc with CCI primers, 130gn Sierra gameking and they do the job very well. I seat the bullet very close to the lands and I haven't had any issues with the combination. I am not sure what the velocity is as I have never used a chrono but I don't have to think a great deal about shots out to 250yds.

DC

Adamant's advice is good. He helped me determine my sweet spot - also true about the max load. work up with caution obviously.

DC

Adamant's advice is good. He helped me determine my sweet spot - also true about the max load. work up with caution obviously.

DC

Agreed about the "working up" part but drop it more than one grain. Reduce it by at least 5% and see how that works for you.~Muir

Hi laird have you tried using reloader22 im using 58.5 and 59grns behind a 130grn sierra gameking and getting good groups at 100yards, also 58grns of rl22 is giving good accuracy and i would assume that they are over 3000fps i have 20inch t3. when i get a chronograph i will let you know the velocities, if muir is reading this he may know the velocities and have a better idea hope this helps.

i use 56gn h4350 rws brass cci primmers and 110gn v-max with great effect work in both sako 75 and browning x-bolt

Any news yet on the new powder?

Oh another GOOD reason for dropping powder charges down and working up is that case internal capacities do vary and do make a difference with pressure.

Laird, while 3000 fps maybe the magical velocity target for a 130 gn pill in a .270, I doubt you have a chance geting it with a 16 or 18 inch bbl. Quicker powders do not always give you the same velocities in a short bbl than a slower one will in a longer tube. The pressure can spike before the desired velocities are reached. Using more powder then becomes dangerous. In some cases it seems to work (.308) in others it may not.

I have loaded up to 63 gns of H4831 behind a 130 to get 3070 fps (measured with a chrono) and this was starting to get warm. Faster powders like H4350 should give you 3000fps and they will in a 22+ inch bbl at 55+ grains. A while ago i chrono - ed rem, win, and PMC factory 130 gn loads in my rifle (22" bbl) and could not get 3000 fps with any. Does this matter, not really a 130 at 2850 fps is still pretty effective.

Laird, thats probably as good as you will get given the length of barrel you have to work with. Plenty enough though for most uses but I'd sort of feel i was using a 7x57 :).

Got 2886fps and great groups.

Nice to hear it :D.

I was just sitting here pondering the scheme of things and wonder if it was no accident that Mannlicher brought out the Mdl 1903 in the Stutzen (short barrelled carbine version) as after all the 6.5x54MS cartridge was about perfect for short barrel use which is not something one ca say about the 06 case necked down as in the case witht eh 270 Win and the 25-06. Both cartridge require proper length barrels to perform at their best and 24" is good but 26" is better still.

As said before I switched to H380 powder in my 20" barrelled .270 Win as it gave decent velocity, good grouping and reduced the muzzle fire ball by a considerable amount.

Got 2886fps and great groups.

im getting around the same velocity in my ruger m77 , using N560 and 130gn sierra game kings spbt's .

excellent accuracy and bugger all bullet damage and ive shot red hinds out to 300m with no problems at all .

Back