Thread: suggestions on rounds

suggestions on rounds

Hi lads i will be picking up my 270 tikka t3 stainless on the weekend it will be fitted with pes t12 mod looking for some ideas on what rounds, shoot well in them. They will be off the shelf rounds, can any one help

Cheers Gadget.

Try some Hornady 130gn Custom ammo, my mate uses these in his T3 270 with a PES on, and it groups sub MOA all day.

Best rgds

Tahr

SD Regular
    Try some 140 grain bullet weight rounds. You might be surprised how much better your moderator works AND how much less meat your 270 damages!

I'd avoid the Hornady "Light Magnum" loadings. They are BRUTAL at close range if you are woodland stalking and shoot a deer at thirty yards or so.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares
    I'd avoid the Hornady "Light Magnum" loadings. They are BRUTAL at close range if you are woodland stalking and shoot a deer at thirty yards or so.
    I shot a fox at 15yrds with a 270 Hornady Light Magnum, I saw something flying though the air as I shot it, when I went to look at what it was, I found that the bullet had blown the far side leg/shoulder clean off, and it landed 10yrds away. Oh well dead is dead.

Best rgds

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares
    Try some 140 grain bullet weight rounds. You might be surprised how much better your moderator works AND how much less meat your 270 damages!
    If you choose to use a .270 you have to accept that you'll be getting meat damage. Bullet weight and construction selection only goes so far with a .270. They haven't gained their reputation for bark and bite for no reason.

Gadget - you might like to give Norma ammunition a try. My T3 is in .243, but for what it's worth they give the best results and group to 3/4" or less consistently at 100m. RWS & Federal come a close second and certainly group sub inch. I tend to shoot 100 grain bullets as standard.

I have also tried Prvi Partizan and Winchester but can't produce any groups under 2" with them.

If you can lay hands on any of these, they will do a good job:

1. Norma 150gr
    2. RWS 130gr
    3. Winchester 140gr ballistic silvertip.

I have found the 140gr BST to be very accurate in a couple of 270's, but meat damage will be siginificant if you hit a bone at close range.

Thanks for all your ideas lads i have settled for v max 110gr ballistic tips and 130gr Hornady shooting half ins group at 100yds and hole in hole with the v max so got to be happy with that thanks again lads.

gadget