Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wild / feral goats

wild / feral goats

Can anybody give me any info re: shooting wild / feral goats?
    eg, is there a close season, or any other legal protection?
    Are they classed as "vermin"?
    What would be minimum calibre, and also what would be folks recommended calibre / rifle set up?

etc, etc.

Any info gratefully recieved!

Thanks.

No closed season but not vermin and you need goat or any other legal quarry on your FAC. I don't think there are specified calibres but I'd suggest .240 upwards as they're tough buggers with thick coats. They like high ground so any .240+ rifle you don't mind lugging up a mountain is the right one. Like deer, wild goats belong to the owner of the land they happen to be on at the time, so landowner's permission needed.

If shooting billies, wear gloves and coveralls for the gralloch and caping - they smell like a Morrocan urinal on a warm day...

Trophy measurement is based on the length of the horns and the distance between the tips, so look for the horns that look like a Hell's Angels handlebars.

Hope this helps.

Adam.

Trophy measurement is more complex than stated above as circumference of the horns is also measured at their base, 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters.
    Each individual measurement of the right horn and left horn including length are compared with each other and variations are placed in a `difference` column.
    All the right and left horn figures are added together and the `difference` is subtacted and finally the greatest spread is added for the true score.
    Medal award levels are Bronze 250, Silver 300 and Gold at 350. [ Measurements are in c/m. ]

In Oct.1996 I shot a monster on the mountains of Co.Clare overlooking Galway Bay, it was a Silver at 321 CIC points.
    I zapped it with my Carl Gustaf .270 using a 130gr re-load with a Speer SPBT bullet.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    No closed season but not vermin and you need goat or any other legal quarry on your FAC. I don't think there are specified calibres but I'd suggest .240 upwards as they're tough buggers with thick coats. They like high ground so any .240+ rifle you don't mind lugging up a mountain is the right one. Like deer, wild goats belong to the owner of the land they happen to be on at the time, so landowner's permission needed.

If shooting billies, wear gloves and coveralls for the gralloch and caping - they smell like a Morrocan urinal on a warm day...

Trophy measurement is based on the length of the horns and the distance between the tips, so look for the horns that look like a Hell's Angels handlebars.

Hope this helps.

Adam.
    + 1
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

speak to solwaystalker if you want a crack at them. Colin had a couple of crackers recently with guests

Adamant, one slight inaccuracy in your post. The goats are wild animals, and don't belong to anyone until they are dead, at which time property reverts to the person who owns the land they fall on. You still need permission to shoot over the land of course, but it's not because of ownership of the goats.

Other than that, any rifle you'd use for deer would be suitable for goats. A lot are shot in the highlands with .270's, but that's mainly because it's a popular deer rifle up there. One of the faster, heavier .22cf rounds (22-250, 22 Swift etc.) would do the job fine, and legally, but the bigger calibres give a little more margin for error. In fact the smaller cartridges (.17 and .20 cf calibres) would do the job if necessary.

I'm intrigued,,,hhmm, never thought about shooting a goat....any about argyll? just asking as I stalk on 10,000 acres of hill there. never actually seen any goats, but then,,,never looked/paid attention either

Thanks for replies so far. Keep them coming!
    This looks like it might be my affordable route into stalking...

Is there any carcass value? I've eaten goat many times, but always domestic castrates or young females, not ferals.
    Someone I know rounded up a load of ferals with his sheep and shipped them off to the abattoir in time for some ethnic festival, but not sure if there'd be any market for goat shot on the hill? Can be pretty stinky, by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post

Hope this helps.

Adam.
    Both wild deer and wild goat are not owned by anyone until they fall dead, only then do they become property of the landowner to which they have died on.

Home office guidence advises .243 with a 100 grain bullet. You will of course need the 'Goat' condition adding to your FAC. Im sure most 'Deer calibre' rifles would do the job just fine.

Regards, M