Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomended factory ammo

Recomended factory ammo

Some advise needed please.

Im currently shooting with a Tika T3 Lite with a barrel twist of 1-10 in .243 calibre. My main quarry is Fox, with ocasional Muntjac, and Roe.

When i bought the rifle i obviously went through the process of zeroing and trying to find a factory load that the rifle liked. The 100gr were ok all grouping within a 4" circle which is what i need for my level 1, however i wanted tighter groups so tried 95gr & 90gr etc and groups tightened right up.

Im now using Federal power shok 80gr soft point / Medium game, these are giving me really tight & consistant groups, but at 100yds only produce 1655 ft-lb of energy which is fine for Muntjac but if presented with a Roe which is not that often then theyre not legal.

Although i need to up the weight in grains to be deer legal i still need to stay reletivley light to maintain grouping, so any suggestions to make and weight of factory ammo that work well ?

Also what type of head as the soft points at the minute are knocking quite big holes in the Foxes, this i want to avoid if i have the chance at a deer.

Regards

My Tikka T3 Lite (25-06) was crap with factory ammo. It wasn't until I did some home loads that it got down to below 1". You may just have one of those rifles that doesn't like the factory stuff.

All the Sierra soft points seem to work well in mine.
    Mel
    A pat on the back is often just a recce for the knife.

try 85g federal hollow points, uses scierra gameking hollow point bullet which is perfect for both fox and roe

Cheers guys.

Mel i will be going down the route of home loading as and when my extensions done, just havnt got the room at the mo and a little boy whose into everything, once i can lock stuff away ill persue it mate, just cant at the minute.

PKL ill look into those thank you, the ones i have now were recomended by the gun shop, being new to stalking i just took their advise and bought them.

My old T3 Varmint, .243, loved Remington Accutips, 75 & 95g, less than 1" groups for both, and very little difference in zero too! But ballistic tips!!
    Kev.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I think you may be getting confused over the amount of energy you need to stay legal. It's been a while now but 1750ft/lbs of MUZZLE energy and .240 minimum calibre. It says nothing about energy at 100 yds. Your muzzle velocity is going to have to be 3138ft/s to achieve the necessary 1750ft/lbs limit.
    Ballistic Calculator is a good site. Just fill in your bullet weight and required energy and it will bring up your required velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I think you may be getting confused over the amount of energy you need to stay legal. It's been a while now but 1750ft/lbs of MUZZLE energy and .240 minimum calibre. It says nothing about energy at 100 yds. Your muzzle velocity is going to have to be 3138ft/s to achieve the necessary 1750ft/lbs limit.
    Ballistic Calculator is a good site. Just fill in your bullet weight and required energy and it will bring up your required velocity.
    Right im with you, think im looking into it to much. So basicaly its energy at the muzzle and not what it equates to at a given distance, If thats the case then im legal with these as theyre 1970 ft-lb at muzzle. Just need to change from soft point now to save on meat damage.

Thanks for pointing that out feel like a right dick now.

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Right im with you, think im looking into it to much. So basicaly its energy at the muzzle and not what it equates to at a given distance, If thats the case then im legal with these as theyre 1970 ft-lb at muzzle. Just need to change from soft point now to save on meat damage.

Thanks for pointing that out feel like a right dick now.

AB
    soft point Will do less meat damage than ballistic tips.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    soft point Will do less meat damage than ballistic tips.
    Not been using Bt's mate been using soft points but theyre making quite a mess, need to change to hollow point or something.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    My T3 Lite in .243 loved Federal Powershok 100gr ammo, covered for every eventuality should it arrise, I reloaded and matched there accuracy and performance.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position