Thread: New Marlin SBL 45-70

New Marlin SBL 45-70

Hi

Went to Bisley yesterday to try out my new toy Marlin SBL in 45-70. Fantastic thump when you pull the trigger. I'm gonna enjoy this, made up a batch of reloads which I think were on the mild side 27grn Lovex D060 which is equivilant to Accurate 5744 under a 405grn LBFN and gave them a good crimp as I've heard that it helps with the unburnt powder problems associated with 5744. Only tried them on the zero range just because I wanted to pull the trigger and was well pleased. Does anyone on here have any suggestions with load data they have tried different bullets etc. I would be interested on your findings. Also on any hunting loads as will be trying it on Deer and Boar when I get the chance. Will be playing on the 100yrd range soon so accurate paper punching loads wanted also
    Good time ahead......

Cheers

PM CSL on here, he has the same rifle and i believe he uses it in anger, I have just bought an SBL too! so i will follow the thread with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by KEITHKILVO1 View Post
    Hi

Went to Bisley yesterday to try out my new toy Marlin SBL in 45-70. Fantastic thump when you pull the trigger. I'm gonna enjoy this, made up a batch of reloads which I think were on the mild side 27grn Lovex D060 which is equivilant to Accurate 5744 under a 405grn LBFN and gave them a good crimp as I've heard that it helps with the unburnt powder problems associated with 5744. Only tried them on the zero range just because I wanted to pull the trigger and was well pleased. Does anyone on here have any suggestions with load data they have tried different bullets etc. I would be interested on your findings. Also on any hunting loads as will be trying it on Deer and Boar when I get the chance. Will be playing on the 100yrd range soon so accurate paper punching loads wanted also
    Good time ahead......

Cheers
    Not so. You crimp well because if you don't, or you use a sissy crimp, your cartridges in the magazine will have their bullets inch outward from the case mouth under recoil. You flare the case to seat the bullet, you crimp to remove the flare and anchor the bullet into the case mouth.

A word of advice fromn someone who has been reloading 45-70 for 40 years: Until you become very familiar with 45-70 loading data, NEVER take someones' load suggestions for a 45-70. get on Hodgdon's or Alliants' or who-ever's web site and look up the data specifically for the Marlin or weaker guns. Some loads will be more accurate than others in your gun but all 45-70 loads have a penchant for accuracy when well assembled. This is one time when you should not solicit loading data. I have seen it time and time again where a person was recommended loading data for a Ruger #1 that the giver was foolishly using in their Marlin. Do your own work on this one and you'll never be in doubt.

I will tell you that I like 3031, RL-7, 4895 and 4831 for the Marlins and 300-350 grain bullets. You can get the grain-weights from established loading data. Have fun. ~Muir

Great advise, but how is anyone meant to learn if they dont take advise somewhere??
    I use a 300gr hornady hollow point and 56 grains of h4895 shoots 1950 fps over 2200 foot pounds very acurate knocks reds and fallow over. I stress that I use this load in a Marlin 1895 which is designed to take the heavier loads.NOT FOR USE WITH ANY TRAPDOOR 45-70

Loading data advise is a dangerous gift. They learn by reading and following the guidelines of published loading data, not by soliciting loading data from anonymous sources on the internet. Especially with a cartridge like the 45-70 which has three distinctly different sets of loading data. I know from experience that the load you posted is a fine one -I use it for deer from my Siamese Mauser custom bolt action- but a novice wouldn't know that, right? ~Muir