Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer in your own Garden

Deer in your own Garden

Just wondering what the legalities are of harvesting a deer which enters your private garden?

Bullet stays within your garden, police appoved land if applicable to your FAC then you can decide if the shot can safely and legally be taken. A garden can be anything from a postage stamp to thousands of acres so being your garden is irrelevant.
    Last edited by baguio; 01-04-2012 at 20:52.

If the deer is in season, you have a rifle of an appropriate calibre which meets the minimums set ou tin the deer act, you have the rights to shoot over the land and your FAC is appropriate (either land cleared or open FAC) then you're good to go.

Of course if you live in the middle of a city, letting loose with a .308 in your tiny back garden is likely to have an ARU and helo there in minutes. If you live in the country and your "garden" is ten acres of land with no neighbours for miles then you're less likely to have problems.

I wondered how many laws someone local to me broke. he killed a deer in his small garden which backs on to a moor, with a 12 gauge. Some Vegans down the road called the police and armed response arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by nabbers View Post
    I wondered how many laws someone local to me broke. he killed a deer in his small garden which backs on to a moor, with a 12 gauge. Some Vegans down the road called the police and armed response arrived.
    Maybe none, depends on other factors was the deer causing serious damage,was it unsafe to use a rifle,was the shotgun loaded with appropriate cartridge, shotguns[12bore] are still allowed in certain circumstances where serious damage is being caused.

A shotgun isn't an acceptable tol for killing deer in law, except where used by the land owner (or certain other specified people) to protect crops. That doesn't include his prize roses or veg patch, unless it is being grown for sale.

Of course, he also has to use the correct cartridge, a 12 bore with minimum shot size of AAA, or a solid slug of not less than 350 grains. It also needs to be the same species of deer that is causing the damage, so if Roe are eating your pea crop you can't shoot muntjac (makes sense really) and on the land where the damage is occurring.

Matt

I am unaware of any reference in the act that the stipulates the "crop" must be commercial. I have, on very rare occasions, been asked to deal with marauding deer feasting on fruit and vegetables in peoples gardens and have used a 12 bore in situations where I deemed a rifle just to iffy.

Hmmm, the law says that "further damage is likely to occur, and that damage is likely to be serious". I guess it's a case of defining "serious" damage. I take back my comment on it having to be for sale, although arguing that "serious damage" can be caused to a couple of rows of veg would be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Hmmm, the law says that "further damage is likely to occur, and that damage is likely to be serious". I guess it's a case of defining "serious" damage. I take back my comment on it having to be for sale, although arguing that "serious damage" can be caused to a couple of rows of veg would be tough.
    Have to agree with you on this, I must admit that in my instances the owners had fairly large vegetable gardens.

yet another instance of poorly structured wording of sporting/deer/firearms law.

" In England and Wales in certain circumstances shotguns firing non-spherical projectiles (slug) weighing more than 350 gms or certain shot may be used to kill deer which are not injured but doing serious damage to crops."

No mention of the "crops" being sold, otherwise that would preclude crofters and subsistence farmers from protecting their crops.