Time before grallach?

CWMMAN3738

On one of my permishions the land owner dose not allow me to grallach the deer i shoot there he's not even happy about me bleeding them there, as he say's it attracts foxes and badgers, which like most farmers he hates them , however i keep the foxes under strict control but it's his farm and im quite rightly going to obey his wishes however strange.
The nearest place i can do it is about 15-20 mins away by the time i'v dragged them out to the vehicle i'v tried using bags etc but not realy viable espically with big reds ok with roe but messy so i am currently takeing them away to my next permishion to grallach.
Dose anyone have a better solution? something to put the grallach in that wont leak in my vehicle or is it ok to wait this long to do it, i must say i'v had no ill effects so far.

is it not possible to empty the grass bag (dogs love it),and take intestines away in a bucket or a 45 gallon plastic drum cut in half back at your vehicle or bury them on the land .

I often use the big flexible rubber 'Gorilla Tubs' which builders use. Even takes the contents of a red, but i normally empty the stomach contents first as that is just vegetable matter which can do no harm surely?
MS

Sorry guys i have a jeep which she who must be obayed has banned me from putting anything forward of the rear seats (boot only for me) the track is V>V>V> rough andwith a big red in not much room to keep things upright, possibly something big enough that seals and leaves room for the beast tried a cool box but not quite there.

I have some of those stacking storage clip lid boxes "Really Useful Boxes", i use them for allsorts, including transporting tropical fish (in water!). Lid clips really well, and all sorts of sizes (think mine are 45lt), good strong handles too.
Might be worth a try..

Mike

Take gut out bag it tag it and then cable tie it place back in the cavity and remove the full thing no risk of contamination of the beast .What you are doing will cause you a problem at some time if you have nicked the grass bag or it has ruptured with the energy or a fragment of bone, the travelling will force green out on to good meat LIKE A TUBE OF TOOTH PASTE.

A small kids wading pool made out of hard plastic will fit into a wagon,6" sides on it will do ya and is hosed out later...then the kids can have a dip too.

Take gut out bag it tag it and then cable tie it place back in the cavity and remove the full thing no risk of contamination of the beast .What you are doing will cause you a problem at some time if you have nicked the grass bag or it has ruptured with the energy or a fragment of bone, the travelling will force green out on to good meat LIKE A TUBE OF TOOTH PASTE.

This is probably your best solution, other than that if you must move them before gralloch absolute maximum
of thirty mins in cold weather a lot less when its warm.

gralloch

hi get a plastic dustbin and o a suspended gralloch the just put the lid on and take to burial site
atb tom

You can now get cool boxes big enough to take a red but the are expensive, around about £300 if I remember correctly, but a cool box won't really lengthen the time much for a gralloch,still would be 30 mins or less.

On one of my permishions the land owner dose not allow me to grallach the deer i shoot there he's not even happy about me bleeding them there, as he say's it attracts foxes and badgers, which like most farmers he hates them , however i keep the foxes under strict control but it's his farm and im quite rightly going to obey his wishes however strange.
The nearest place i can do it is about 15-20 mins away by the time i'v dragged them out to the vehicle i'v tried using bags etc but not realy viable espically with big reds ok with roe but messy so i am currently takeing them away to my next permishion to grallach.
Dose anyone have a better solution? something to put the grallach in that wont leak in my vehicle or is it ok to wait this long to do it, i must say i'v had no ill effects so far.

Firstly bleed it where if falls then gralloch it in the same place your land owner is a dick head ,ask him would he do the same with one of his livestock .doubt it

Get a old army poncho spread it out and do your gralloch on it. bag the contents if you must ,what he doesn't see won't harm him.

i use the bottom section of a ibc the big white plastic containers in metal frames i took out the container cut the bottom off and use it as a boot liner its about 10 high and i put a frame in the bottom which supports the deer rabbits etc as you drive it lets air circulate round the body letting it cool dunno if this helps but its cheap easy and clean and i can get 4 roe in mine with them hardly touching each other

One little problem with the suggestions guys ive never seen any stalker go out on the hill with a cool box, blue barrel or anything resembling anything like it .

We're talking bleeding and gralloching a beast where it is shot containing the blood and gralloch without leaving any ground staining or remains are we not ??
all because a landowner doesnt know his earhole from his arsehole .

Removing the beast from one area to the next to gralloch it is a big NO NO what happens in a what if situation you find some thing wrong with the beast no only have you removed it from the area but have contaminated another area .

Only food for thought .What would the other landowner say ???

Last edited:
If you have a hitch on the back look at the heck-peck transporter from JMS arms. jmsarms.com
Excellent bits of kit. You will be able to transport a red and any gore with ease.

If you have a hitch on the back look at the heck-peck transporter from JMS arms. jmsarms.com
Excellent bits of kit. You will be able to transport a red and any gore with ease.

What about getting it off of where ever, theres no one with two sparking brain cells going to drag another 30lbs of blood and Gralloch for fun ,at the last i notice you had to be firing on all cylinders to hold a firearms certificate ,(maybe England is different)

get an old central heating oil tank , cut the bottom out , put a lid in the top and bury it on the farm . Drop all your gralloch , heads , feet and foxes down it and lock the lid

Back