Thread: Tuff pak cases on Virgin Airlines

Tuff pak cases on Virgin Airlines

I am travelling to South Africa on Friday to do some hunting. I will be putting my rifle (and indeed all my other luggage) in a full length Tuff pak with a separate Tuff pak ammo box. Has anyone flown Virgin lately while carrying f/arms ? Any hassles ? Will I be charged extra because the Tuff pak case is over 35 inches long ? Appreciate any info.

ATB ML

You should be fine on Virgin as long as the combined weight of your rifle and kit is at or less than the combined limit of your hold luggage allowance and your free sporting luggage allowance - ammunition doesn't count as part of this but I think is limited to 5kg (nobody at Virgin seemed to care much about the ammunition when we checked in at either end). The actual weights depend on whether you are flying economy, super-economy etc but I vaguely recall were about 20kg for hold baggage and 20kg for sports kit when I flew economy to RSA 18 month ago. I flew with a 50" Pelicase, so up to that length wasn't an issue.

Virgin are very good to fly with when carrying firearms - very relaxed and organised.

Adam.

Cheers Adamant, thanks for the info. ATB ML

Flown with Virgin all of my African Hunting trips with my Tuff Pak with no hassles what so ever, with the exception of getting someone at the check-in desk that has never done it before.
    There is no charge.
    But, if you are taking an internal flight they will want to charge you (South African Airways) for excess baggage and not sporting goods.
    I have somewhere a statement from SAA Director stating there is no charge.
    PM me your email and I will scan it and send it.

Regards

DavieH

Quote Originally Posted by moray loon View Post
    I am travelling to South Africa on Friday to do some hunting. I will be putting my rifle (and indeed all my other luggage) in a full length Tuff pak with a separate Tuff pak ammo box. Has anyone flown Virgin lately while carrying f/arms ? Any hassles ? Will I be charged extra because the Tuff pak case is over 35 inches long ? Appreciate any info.

ATB ML

Thanks for that DavieH. I will PM you as soon as I work out how to do it ! ATB ML