Talent

ejg

Shot at a 300yd competition on Saturday a few miles from the Atlantic on the west coast of Ireland.
Wind was unusual north easterly and rolling down the hill at around 2 o'clock.
I couldn't find a decent position and shot my 18 rounds + 2 sighters half ok with maybe 5 v-bulls a few 4's and 5's.
Then the chap next to me took his turn, he was inexperienced at the target stuff and needed help filling out the result sheets.
His remmy 700 223 varmint with a laminated stock and hawke scope looked as if just out the box (not even threaded) and he
had two boxes of 55gr v-max Hornady factory ammo along. First round V-Bull.....next 5 or so also. Then a 5 and v-bulls again.
All together 13 V-Bulls out of 18 rounds and the rest 5's. V Bull was around an inch. He mentioned that he only shoots foxes normally.....

Nothing wrong with that remmy anyway. Really nice to see such raw talent out there.
edi

Such talent is rare.
Over the years I have scored many hundreds of targets at stalkers shoots and it is a sober fact that 8 out of 9 competitors are unable to put three consecutive shots on to a 1 inch bullseye at 100 yds from a good rest.

HWH.

I know a young lady who joined a club full of target shooters at 600yd range
Shooting well with scope and stalking rifle was asked if she wanted to have a crack with a .50 black powder iron sighted antique.
she promptly put the first (and only shot) in the VBull.....much to the amusement of the friends of the rifle's owner.....

Such talent is rare.
Over the years I have scored many hundreds of targets at stalkers shoots and it is a sober fact that 8 out of 9 competitors are unable to put three consecutive shots on to a 1 inch bullseye at 100 yds from a good rest.

HWH.
We were checking out our rifles at a 100yd when we offered a turn to our non shooting friend, he promptly put his first and only shot in the dead centre of the bull ! needless to say, 'He aint coming again' !

There are no secrets, its all about doing what your told whilst learning.They say thats why the Gurkas are such good shots,because they do what they are told;)

Nell that's not true the guy i took out stalking took his new rifle and shot 3 into a 2 inch group off sticks at 100 + There are some people who can naturally do stuff that others need to work at in all sports even shooting.

Nell that's not true the guy i took out stalking took his new rifle and shot 3 into a 2 inch group off sticks at 100 + There are some people who can naturally do stuff that others need to work at in all sports even shooting.

I would never dispute the fact that some pick things up quicker than others, but following good advice surely helps,bit like learning to drive i guess;)

I guess some it comes naturally some it dont but some are special and it was that type i was think of. ;)

Back