SmartPhone/iPod App for sunrise/sunset times and moon phase?

alasdair

SmartPhone/iPod App for sunrise/sunset times and moon phase?

I don't have a SmartPhone but do use an iPod Touch as a mini-computer and PDA (Calendar, diary, reminders, address book, mobile e-mail etc.)

Exploring on the net I find there are a number of Apps that will give me predictions for time of sunrise sunset and moon-phases by location.

Up to now I've used metcheck on my laptop (Metcheck.com - UK Weather Forecasts - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts) - which doesn't give the moon phase and is not always available
or
I look it up on my Garmin GPSmap 62s (handheld GPS), which is fine if I am at the location where I want the prediction for and I have it with me, fired up and running.

There seem to to be quite a few Apps that would give me what I want, including some stalking/hunting oriented ones. Most seem very (possibly exclusively) oriented to use in USA.
Some seem more interested in horoscopes and astrology, not something that has helped my stalking!

Anyone have any experience of using one?
It must provide simply:
time of sunrise and sunset and moon-phase for present and/or other chosen location, for present and/or other chosen date.
Once installed be able to function without an internet connection.
Ideally it should use corrected local time i.e. if used here in Scotland today, would use BST.
and
be UK friendly!

If it's free, fast and without annoying adverts, so much the better.
I don't mind paying a few pennies if it really does the business!

Cabela's Recon Hunt App looks amazing, if you have an iPhone and live in the USA!
Cabela's Recon Hunt for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G on the iTunes App Store
but a bit OTT for my purposes!

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Alasdair

......in the Pentlands where it is snowing!!!!

LunarLib for your moon phases and met office app for weather/sunrise/sunset times yet to find anything that does both.

Leon

I use Weather - UK & Worldwide Forecasts, News & More - Netweather.tv for weather and sunrise/set on the PC - on of the most relaible forecasting tools I have come across. There are loads of free apps for this, BUT, many rely on the use of inbuilt location services to give you the details you want and I don't think (corrrect me if I'm wrong) touch has that, so you need one that will work via manual input. Cabelas works fine in this country BTW. As other have said, the Met office app works well and if you type sunrise sunset into app store, there are a load of free apps available (Sunrise Clock +, Daylight, Sunrise Sunset Lite to name three). There are also a load of animal call apps (great with a little speaker), bullet drop/ballistic calculators and wider hunting apps. You mentioned Cabelas - also have a look at ActinNature.

Hope this helps

another one for android is "Sundroid", very basic but gives moon phase, sun up and sun down etc.

I use Sunrise and Set on my iPhone - does the job :)

Yup! It's a neat App (& only 69p! & 2.1MB), but I wanted to have moon phase and predictions as well - I find that "legal daylight" stalking around the time of a full moon is less productive (can make for interesting foxing though!).

n.b. Sunrise and Set Lite (the free one) does not I think have custom location facility.

alasdair

in the Pentlands, snow stopped and sun shining now!

On my android I use free apps of Accuweather, Sunrise Sunset, and Moon 3D.

The latter two are super quick to use rather than downloading data etc as per accuweather

i use an app called TPE (the photographers ephemeris) sun & moon rise & set(with calendar look up) civil, nautical, astronomical. Phases etc.
the most useful bit is that its overlaid over a zoomable map (UK and world). so that you can see the direction and altitude of the sun and moon throughout the day.
handy little tool
Andy

Do you generally add time onto what the app says? I've got the weatherpro and it says 6.22 sunrise for tomorrow. I haven't been up that early in a while but I'm guessing you could shave 40 minutes off that!

Well if you had a Casio watch then you have it all the time just have to programme in long and Lat and off you go. The one I am currently wearing is a Casio FT-201 Fish n time but the Seamaster will give you the data it needs. Works anywhere in the world.

D

Back