View Poll Results: Compulsory testing for deer dogs before being placed on a deer dog register.

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would have my dog compulsory tested and would do this to be placed on the DDR.

22 30.14%
  • No, I would not have my dog compulsory tested, if this was introduced I would withdraw my services.

34 46.58%
  • Neither of the above.

17 23.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Compulsory Deer Dog Testing - Vote

Compulsory Deer Dog Testing - Vote

This poll is open to all SD members, however maybe more specifically those of you who currently display the 'deer dog available' logo on your profile.

The poll is quite a simple one really. . . .

If enough members take part, the result should give us all a better idea who is for, and subsequently against, compulsory testing of their deer dog before being permitted on a deer dog register.

What status or standing would this theoretical DDR have?

I don't see the poll. But my 2 pennies worth is any dog that knows roughly what it is doing is far better than no dog at all. Having a dog that has qualified through some course or training system to a higher standard would be an obvious advantage. Both should be able to be on a register if available.

.....poll has appeared now!
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 03-04-2012 at 14:10.

Like a DSC for dogs,where experience means nothing would have to agree with above half an idea is better than none....

Would be interesting to know how often the deer dog register has been used by strangers to each other.... and how succesfull it has been.... great idea though...

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Like a DSC for dogs,where experience means nothing would have to agree with above half an idea is better than none....

Unlike the DSC1 though, just being able to read does not get you a pass....

It will be interesting to see the results to the poll though.

voted neither because I am not on the register (ANY register!),,and some would prefer a dog available that may not have passed the 'test' as opposed to not having one available locally at all. what about trainee dogs that are not able to 'pass the test' yet?

better to have a 'review' section so other members can comment and give reviews or stars to rate the dogs

The whole point of having a dog is to track a suffering animal, to enable the tracker to put it out of its misery.

Who cares if the dog has passed a test or not?

This year I have or Clients have shot 90 deer with me, I have lost 2. That is enough to make me want to get a dog. My dog will be trained up to find the lost deer, to a standard where I am happy. I won't make my dog do a test so it earns a bit of paper. The proof of her worth is in the field.

And are we all going to have our spaniels and labs tested before taking them rough/game shooting?

And who will adminster and decide the nature of the test ? Will it end up as another DSC - people, or more correctly, dogs, eventually being compelled to do it, more admin and certificates and more money to lay out, any idiot can pass an exam - i know i've past a few in my time - give me experience every time

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    And are we all going to have our spaniels and labs tested before taking them rough/game shooting?
    My springer would fail instantly within seconds