Thread: Fallow followers

Fallow followers

The doe season is over but if I see followers with them can I shoot the followers in the closed season for does?
    Last Saturday I saw about 10 Fallow, does and followers on the farm, but ballsed up the stalk by walking towards them as they came through a hedge after I had lost sight of them.

Not in general no. They will be independant now anyway. What would be your reason for doing so? You may be able to do so under a crop protection exemption but it would depend on the circumstances.

Regards,

M

You can shoot male followers until the end of April if that helps.

If you are referring to does absolutely not, the law clearly states "if it is about to be deprived of its mother" and is aimed more at Roe buck fawns from November onwards or orphaned fawns (RTA's). Bucks only for a few weeks.

Thanks for your comments, same as adults then.
    I was referring to the followers, not the does.
    The reason being that they are a pest and the numbers will only increase.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Thanks for your comments, same as adults then.
    I was referring to the followers, not the does.
    The reason being that they are a pest and the numbers will only increase.
    Jack

I'd assumed you meant the doe followers rather than the mature does. Regards them being a 'pest', hmmm. Start your cull as early as you can and put the time in. Fallow are hard to get on top of, hit the prickets and buck fawns hard in August if you need numbers. They're only becoming a problem where recreational deer stalkers don't shoot enough for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    Jack

I'd assumed you meant the doe followers rather than the mature does. Regards them being a 'pest', hmmm. Start your cull as early as you can and put the time in. Fallow are hard to get on top of, hit the prickets and buck fawns hard in August if you need numbers. They're only becoming a problem where recreational deer stalkers don't shoot enough for whatever reason.
    rather a scathing comment on the end there hme !

It wasn't meant as such but sadly it is something I'm seeing more of, of course then there's the thorny issue of them being shot at by keepers at all times of day and the general harrying of them.

here we have similar issues but in general it is the large areas of woodland that permission cannot be sort and this creating a safe haven for the fallow ,deer just hopping over the boundry and putting up a finger ,some landowners just dont mind having a couple of hundred deer on the plot .