Stalking is not all about being quite.

Thar

I had a bit of success on Friday using a technique that although I have tried before it has not ended up with deer in the bag, just a bit of fun with the deer.

I was stalking roe on one of my blocks, it was crunchy snow under foot so I was making for a high seat to sit and wait for the deer to make a move. Walking to the seat a deer barked at me, so I gave a bark back, the deer responded with another bark, we continued with this for about 6 exchanges. I then saw her, a mature doe in a clearing in the small Sikta spruce pacing backwards and forwards stopping looking my way. On to the bipod with the rifle, a quick check with the range finder she just under 200yrds aim straight at her with the 270 and she was in the bag.

Has anybody else had any success with barking at roe :confused:

Best rgds

Tahr

Done it once or twice it especially works well if the beast is spooked and on the move if it has not clocked you a bit like your situation, also works to get deer to their feet if they are couched up after stalking into them.

Not barking at them but last summer myself and Bandit Country were out before light , we spotted a buck in some clover. Then he lied down and went to sleep, after about an hour we decided to squeek, nothing, whistled, nothing, clapped, nothing. He was out for the count in the morning sun. Then he raised an ear, then we went 'oi' and a head popped up. Then he stood, nice broadside shot. 5m and he was down. Not 5m away a doe got up which we never saw.

Not quite barking at a deer but as you said stalking is not all about being quiet :D

Jonathon

i was out last august with another site member
he missed with the first shot
so i attempted a to bark at this fallow now in full flight, to see if i could stop him
it worked :eek:
and the fallow was put in the bag
a couple of first that nite as i remember it :evil: :lol: :lol:

stone said:
so i attempted a to bark at this fallow now in full flight, to see if i could stop him

Oh yes , what an evening that was
Cheers mate :lol:

See you in a fortnight

Jonathon

stone said:

Oh yes , what an evening that was
Cheers mate :lol:

See you in a fortnight

Jonathon

Barking

I have not put one in the bag from barking but had some fantastic interaction with a doe during the last buck season. I had a friend out in an open wood that buts against a thick forrest, we bumped some roe at 30m or so. I used the buttalo and my friend barked we had the doe come back round 6 times and could have shot her easily. She couldn't see us but she could smell us and each time as she got our fresh scent she would run off back in to the woods barking only to return to us 30-60 seconds later.

Dave

Re: Barking

devilishdave said:
She couldn't see us but she could smell us and each time as she got our fresh scent she would run off back in to the woods barking only to return to us 30-60 seconds later.

Dave
And they say that curiosity killed the cat!! It leads to the demise of a good number of deer as well :) :)
Cheers, Pete.

It sometimes works. Nothing much to lose as I assume that any deer within hearing will have heard it as well and and will be on the alert. If you bark back then they may be curious to see who's new on the block. I've had a buck come to me and stand within 10 yards for five minutes looking and barking. When I saw it coming in close I was silent. I didn't shoot for two reasons, I only had permission for small game also it was triumph enough to have brought it in. Wonderful!

Bob

Bob said:
It sometimes works. Nothing much to lose as I assume that any deer within hearing will have heard it as well and and will be on the alert. If you bark back then they may be curious to see who's new on the block.
Bob

That’s my view Bob you have nothing to loose as they know you/something is there. I remember barking another roe doe a year or so ago (buck season) 15 minutes latter I walked around the corner to find a buck happily feeding away (not for long) so I am not sure that the deer associate the barking with danger.

If I bump up a deer and want to stop it for a shot, I always shout “Hup” this is the command for my dog to “sit”, that way I have reinforced that my dog must sit and with a bit of luck stop the deer as well.

Best rgds

Tahr

I have used this method and had success on does (probably luck more than anytrhing). Found it more affected April/ May time when young bucks are looking for territory.

Back