Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to soft points

Back to soft points

HI I have recently moved back to soft points having used ballistic tips for long range fox shooting for the past 5 yrs I generally used 22-250 55gr Rem Acutips moving now to 53gr Norma SP. I have found the soft points very effective the knock down power seems to be far superior compared to the heavier Acutips with little or no change in accuracy. Has any body else had a similar experience ??
    Thanks Paul

I use Sierra 1360's (55gr SP's) in my 22-250 on munties, CWD, fox, crows, rabbits, magpies etc and find them very accurate with excellent killing ability and much prefer their overall performance to V-max.

Also, compared to other more exotic fodder, cheap too.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

never heard of Sierra 1360 Ill give them a go

I shoot 50gr Speer soft point in my 22.250 never had any complaints from foxes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmoto View Post
    never heard of Sierra 1360 Ill give them a go
    Read the reviews

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/221...zer-box-of-100
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

one could argue that standard soft points are perfectly adequate for any game in the UK, for basically any shot, H/L, head/neck, etc. I think manufacturers are building ranges of other bullet designs, not to create better 'tools for the job' but to differentiate from each other to win business, when in fact, the old cup and core design will work just fine.

..mind, a BT that heavily fragments does have less chance of a pass through, which may be desirable on foxes at night where you can't always be 100% certain about backstops (even though you SHOULD be!).

There was a time before ballistic tip bullets and soft points were the standard for game hunting. I have never shot a "ballistic tip" at a head of big game and never felt the lack.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    I use Sierra 1360's (55gr SP's) in my 22-250 on munties, CWD, fox, crows, rabbits, magpies etc and find them very accurate with excellent killing ability and much prefer their overall performance to V-max.

Also, compared to other more exotic fodder, cheap too.
    Do you get a lot of carcas damage from using Varminter heads on Deer instead of 1365 Gamekings.

Jimbo

I use the best price s/p i can get s&b, sierra, any 55gr - dead is dead, I have no intrest in the fox damage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo 30 06 View Post
    Do you get a lot of carcas damage from using Varminter heads on Deer instead of 1365 Gamekings.

Jimbo
    No.

I have worked in the US for several years and the 1360's were on offer at Midway so I thought I would buy a few boxes for fox etc, but finding the lack of damage / exit carnage I started to use them on small deer and they are very effective with excellent expansion, weight retention and knock down.

I always take heart / lung shots and when gralloching a muntie recently there was no exit wound but what was left of the heart was (at a guess) 20% of the original organ. It dropped on the spot and gave one leg twitch. The 1360's are seriously worth trying.