Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: landrover defender price check

landrover defender price check

hi guys

I am seriously considering a landrover defender 90 that a friend is selling. it is 87 with a 2.5 TDI 200 engine. i want to use it as a shooting vehicle although it has been modified for serious off roading. forgive my lack of knowledge but It comes with a high rise suspension kit, snorkel, re-breather, winch , rollbars etc. the general condition is very good with a solid bulkhead and chassis. recently mot'ed. He is looking 2800 and i remember seeing it when he bought it last year and thinking it was a great jeep for the money. He is taking flying lessons at the moment and doesn't use the jeep as much as he had planned and i suppose with the current economical environment he doesn't want it sitting around gathering dust.

I know it is hard to say without seeing the jeep but do you think 2800 is a fair price or is it off the mark

thanks
    keith

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    hi guys

I am seriously considering a landrover defender 90 that a friend is selling. it is 87 with a 2.5 TDI 200 engine. i want to use it as a shooting vehicle although it has been modified for serious off roading. forgive my lack of knowledge but It comes with a high rise suspension kit, snorkel, re-breather, winch , rollbars etc. the general condition is very good with a solid bulkhead and chassis. recently mot'ed. He is looking 2800 and i remember seeing it when he bought it last year and thinking it was a great jeep for the money. He is taking flying lessons at the moment and doesn't use the jeep as much as he had planned and i suppose with the current economical environment he doesn't want it sitting around gathering dust.

I know it is hard to say without seeing the jeep but do you think 2800 is a fair price or is it off the mark

thanks
    keith
    Keith

There are shockingingly poor motors going for more momey than that! One thing about old Landy's is someone somewhere always seem to want one.

My mechanic who is into Landy's told me to go for a 300tdi if I could get one and was lucky that a friend was selling his at the time, owned since new. Failing that a 200tdi.

You will keep it running for a fraction of the cost of Japanese motors and seriously capable off road. I have owned 3 now and several Japanese to compare them to. Only thing against them is they are not comfortable on long journeys on the road, but then again they were never designed for that.

The comedians will be on soon saying just as well they are cheap to repair.

i know what you mean about repairs . i have a disco 3 at the moment and i am afraid to turn the key as it is like playing russian roulette with warning lights etc. i am looking something that i can work at myself, if i go for a nissan or mitshibushi etc then i am in the same boat as i am now with the disco 3, they are too complicated for the normal guy off the street.

thanks for the reply, when my friend bought it he mentioned he got receipts for about 6k worth of extras, if i take this as an over estimate and believe that he got receipts showing 3k of work then it would still be a good jeep for the money.

keith

Please don't call it a jeep...

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    i know what you mean about repairs . i have a disco 3 at the moment and i am afraid to turn the key as it is like playing russian roulette with warning lights etc. i am looking something that i can work at myself, if i go for a nissan or mitshibushi etc then i am in the same boat as i am now with the disco 3, they are too complicated for the normal guy off the street.

thanks for the reply, when my friend bought it he mentioned he got receipts for about 6k worth of extras, if i take this as an over estimate and believe that he got receipts showing 3k of work then it would still be a good jeep for the money.

keith
    200 or 300 according to mechanics are as you say a doddle to work on. TD5 great motor for power but complicated by comparison I am told.

Loose the snorkel though.... Unless of course you are really fording rivers

Snorkels are great for getting in the way when shooting off the mirror will be loosing mine shortly. DF

landrover

As an ex Landrover mechanic I like to think I know a thing or two about them, ok parts are cheap,they need to be you will need loads they gobble them,if you are not mechanicaly minded make sure you have a mate/garage willing to do work at a reasonable price as you will be using their services rather a lot, if you use it frequently it will need constant attention and parts,if you make the mistake of using it infrequently it will develop faults when you do use it, nothing likes to be stood especially Landys, if on the other hand you buy something Jap and take care of it, it will go on and on requiring far less attention and fewer bits come mot time,all that said they are good fun,hold their value well,and are easy enough to work on, I would wave 2500 quid under his nose if you really must have it, sorry to sound so negative about them but 12 years working on them and running several has made me quite a realist im afraid,its Jap for me now im afraid,but good luck mate enjoy

Park it round here without an armed guard or at least a good security system and you'll lose more than the snorkel. If it's owt like should be well worth the money.

I like the look of defenders and disco's, but let's be honest, they are FAMOUS for being crap quality and are probably two of the worst quality cars still in production, and that includes safety. the Disco's I can forgive, because the prices reflect their 'quality', the overly inflated prices for 2nd hand (and new) defenders I cannot forgive, nor comprehend! something that needs constant repairs, is uncomfortable to drive, that rusts and leaks, etc. etc. costing MORE than a great japanese car that has almost no problems and is comfortable, AND safe!,,What is going on here, ''wool over eyes''...

as my mechanic in the borders says to me...don't EVER buy anything that begins with 'Land'..they're the best customers though!

..of course,,,I'm currently looking for a cheap Disco but that's because they're cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    As an ex Landrover mechanic I like to think I know a thing or two about them, ok parts are cheap,they need to be you will need loads they gobble them,if you are not mechanicaly minded make sure you have a mate/garage willing to do work at a reasonable price as you will be using their services rather a lot, if you use it frequently it will need constant attention and parts,if you make the mistake of using it infrequently it will develop faults when you do use it, nothing likes to be stood especially Landys, if on the other hand you buy something Jap and take care of it, it will go on and on requiring far less attention and fewer bits come mot time,all that said they are good fun,hold their value well,and are easy enough to work on, I would wave 2500 quid under his nose if you really must have it, sorry to sound so negative about them but 12 years working on them and running several has made me quite a realist im afraid,its Jap for me now im afraid,but good luck mate enjoy
    I could not agree with you more Hornet I have driven Landrover for the last 12 years and can't wait for my new Toyota Hilux to arrive. I never thought I would see the day I went Japanese but I just got fed up of Landy problems and the expence of fixing them when the warranty period expired. This last one a Defender 110 is 2 years old and Landrover have had it back for warranty works totaling 6 months need I say more. I would not recomend one get yourself something else.

Jimbo