Thread: Elk Call

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Elk Call

Having landed on my feet (Thanks to this site), I have been advised to get an Elk Call for the Rut this year, having never seen one never mind used one, what is the easiest to use and best to go for? (Value for money, I suppose it's called)

I would rather get your opinion than the bloke in the shop, as he will sell me what ever he thinks is best (Normally the most expencive).

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

375mag has a good one, im also in the market for one for the rut this year.. so watching this thread!

Assume you mean for Sika? I think the Sceery cow elk call is the one most recommended Stu. There are two types, a larger one and a compact one but apparently they both do the job. I bought a compact one from Mcleods last year but not tried it yet though!

Alex

Edit: top two on this page:

Sceery Outdoors, LLC
    Last edited by csl; 04-04-2012 at 14:22.

+1 for Sceery, get one now.It takes lots of practise
    Al

www.stalkersuk.co.uk sell them 26.50 +pp or try Cabelas

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Assume you mean for Sika?

I will pop into Winkies the next time I'm up there, popping up to see the Young JAYB next week as it happens.

Cheers

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

The sceery will serve you well, good luck!

If you ask nicely young JAYB will give you a shot of his sceery

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Any tips on how to use it to get the correct sound.

Regards

DavieH

It takes a bit of practise and you have to blow quite hard to make it sound like a sika stag. You need to pinch the mouthpiece quite tight, I use my fingers for better control though I think the idea is to use your teeth, to get it high enough pitched - otherwise you sound like a demented duck. Get over to youtube and watch a few videos of sika calling and then practise a little bit. I've never managed to make my call sound exactly like a sika stag as the call is a little more reedy whereas the sika are more squeaky, for want of a better description. However, this doesn't seem to impact upon the effectiveness.

I've found that if you get any water at all into the call it stops working and be very careful if you decide to wash it out as there are actually two parts and the water gets in between the parts and this must be important to the function as it stops working and will not start again until this trapped water dries out which takes about a week.

In terms of effect I've found it very variable - I've had stags come running in and I've had it ignored. For the most part my experience is that the stags (though mine are very wary as they are poached a lot etc.) don't just charge in to the foot of your highseat but rather they can come in rather carefully. You need to have your eyes open as often they will sneak in to try and get a look at the opposition and when they don't see anything, or see something that worries them, they will then sneak around the wind to get a sniff. So, don't just blow and expect not to have to work for your supper as my experience is that the call will only bring the stags in to around 150 yards or so on open ground, and they will use all available cover to get there and not just wander about in the open.

Because they always seem so keen to get your wind I'm going to try calling them with a large open area downwind of me - so if they want to smell me then they have to come onto the open. This is sort of the opposite of what you might expect to try but I know for certain that when calling stags I've called in animals that I've never got to see as they have come into the thick cover behind me to get my wind when it is natural to assume they might come onto the open ground to try and see me.

I know other people have had more dramatic results with the call and my deer are very wary which might reduce the effectiveness but hopefully my observations are of some small benefit.