Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Deer and Badger RTA's

  1. #1

    Deer and Badger RTA's

    I travel around Lincolnshire through work etc. This is what i have noticed. I see more dead badgers on the road than deer. What is it like in the other counties. I raise this issue because a lot is said about deer RTA's and the need to cull more deer but never badgers. What do the forum members think of it?

  2. #2
    more likley due to their poor eye sight.once got pulled by the police when out lamping and they checked the car boot for badgers?

  3. #3
    First point. Roe are very quickly picked up around here, road kill mania, only the ones that arnt are trashed and left.

    Badgers are also swiftly picked up, many are microchipped so DEFRA know exactly where they come from shot or not.

    I have long suspected that badgers are dumped on the M5, you can't stop to pick up the remains of a dead one from lane1. On occasions I see two-three all in the same place all 10-20yds apart like they been thrown out of a vehicle, then go many months before i see another bunch in a different spot. They have got to be dumped.

    There are no end of dead badgers all along the A303 in the Wincanton area, plenty of foxes at present.

    As for burying them where they have been shot, think about it, the shooter might as well leave their name and address.

    In the badger study areas all the badgers are microchipped so easy to track dead or alive.

    D

  4. #4
    Plenty in Cheshire, stoped counting on the A41 today.
    But the most i have ever seen was on the A222 and b12.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

  5. #5
    I think a micro chip and a GPS tracker are 2 very differant things!! You would need to by chance find somthing that is chiped to identify it. As I understand GPS tracking devices are IRO 2K so I am guessing every second Badger doesn't have one of them??


    Dave

  6. #6
    its the time of the year , that and due to the dry weather their starving . In areas like wincanton that are on chalk the worms have gone deep , alot of keepers arent feeding and most cover crops are topped off so food is tight and the badgers are traveling further for food and water . At this time of year alot of imature males get kicked out by sows because of cubs and in autum this years cubs are moving out of home , and as we all know badgers travel well defined paths , this is why we she spates of badger RTAs in small areas at certain times of year . As for micro chipping badgers to track them , it wouldnt work , micro chips are very short range , watch the vet scan your dog , and whos ever found the RSPCA cage trapping badgers in order to chip them ? In short , its too many badgers , dry weather , not enough food and terratorial disputes .

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    I think a micro chip and a GPS tracker are 2 very differant things!! You would need to by chance find somthing that is chiped to identify it. As I understand GPS tracking devices are IRO 2K so I am guessing every second Badger doesn't have one of them??


    Dave
    Your bang on Dave , anyone ever seen a badger with an airial or a collar on it ? no , dont think so

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    its the time of the year , that and due to the dry weather their starving . In areas like wincanton that are on chalk the worms have gone deep , alot of keepers arent feeding and most cover crops are topped off so food is tight and the badgers are traveling further for food and water . At this time of year alot of imature males get kicked out by sows because of cubs and in autum this years cubs are moving out of home , and as we all know badgers travel well defined paths , this is why we she spates of badger RTAs in small areas at certain times of year . As for micro chipping badgers to track them , it wouldnt work , micro chips are very short range , watch the vet scan your dog , and whos ever found the RSPCA cage trapping badgers in order to chip them ? In short , its too many badgers , dry weather , not enough food and terratorial disputes .
    Trouble

    You know far more about badgers than I do but I could take you to some roads round the Scottish Borders and there are fresh kills on them 12 months of the year. I was talking about the massive numbers of dead ones just a couple of days ago with a mate.

    I hear what you are saying about food, but they are great scavengers as well and there is always something lying about, plus the hedgehogs I am told they are so adept at finding and killing.

    My GWP is fantastic at finding hedgehogs. Almost nightly she used to retrieve them to me.

    It will be 2 years since she has brought one back. I hardly even see a dead one on the road any more. Fresh badgers almost daily here though...

    Thing is, if we are seeing so many on the roads, what kind of a population is there out in the wilds?

  9. #9
    Road kills in my area lanarkshire consist of mainly Foxes then Badgers and then Roe Deer .the later seem to have the abulity to live very close to roads with out putting them selves in danger. It dose worry me why the SNH chaps concentrate on Roe deer in the central belt when more accidents are caused by foxes and Badgers. The times you see roe deer on the roads are end of april early may (chase out time) and then a small amount when rutting starts.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Road kills in my area lanarkshire consist of mainly Foxes then Badgers and then Roe Deer .the later seem to have the abulity to live very close to roads with out putting them selves in danger. It dose worry me why the SNH chaps concentrate on Roe deer in the central belt when more accidents are caused by foxes and Badgers. The times you see roe deer on the roads are end of april early may (chase out time) and then a small amount when rutting starts.
    That concentration will change if foxes and badgers start eating trees...

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone heard of any red deer rta's just south of norwich !
    By leec6.5 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 18:57
  2. rta deer despatch
    By private fraser in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 05:33
  3. coming soon to yorkshire RTA deer dispatch
    By cookingfat in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 20:54
  4. Daily Telegraph Motoring Section - Deer RTA's
    By willie_gunn in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-07-2010, 10:00
  5. An end to Deer RTA's???
    By Monkey Spanker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 19:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •