Thread: Anyone ever watched Chinese Water Deer Rut?

Anyone ever watched Chinese Water Deer Rut?

Anyone ever seen two males fight with their tusks? Never seen one down here in the west and Im curious as to what happens, do they rear up and try stabbing around the neck? or do they rake their tusks across?
    cheers
    Andy

i think this is a dam good question to ask sd members hope you get some feedback because i would like to know too !!

so come on you
    Chinese Water Deer stalkers ?????

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    i think this is a dam good question to ask sd members hope you get some feedback because i would like to know too !!

so come on you
    Chinese Water Deer stalkers ?????
    I have seen them rut they are very aggressive they run at each other at full tilt knocking one to the ground then slashing with their fangs they seem to slash at any exposed part the ones I have seen don't usually hang around the weaker runs off hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    I have seen them rut they are very aggressive they run at each other at full tilt knocking one to the ground then slashing with their fangs they seem to slash at any exposed part the ones I have seen don't usually hang around the weaker runs off hope this helps
    interesting thanks atom

Glad to read some proper answers, was beginning to think this thread was a bit pervy

Agree with atom. I have only seen it once and the bucks were in open ground about 100 yds apart watching assessing each other slowly got closer then from about 50 Yds ran into each other, made contact for a couple of seconds then the lesser buck ran off. The winner was a gold

The bucks are just as aggressive to the female's during the rut. It is not uncommon to find a doe that has had her back or neck slashed by an amorous buck.

Max

Thats what happened to me i was watching a good buck with a client getting ready for shot as it passed a telegraph pole another buck charged it and saw it off we changed bucks and that made a medal also saw a big chinky buck see off a munti buck

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Glad to read some proper answers, was beginning to think this thread was a bit pervy
    Ha ha! no just interested (which probably is classed as pervy by some).
    thanks for the answers chaps, and apologies not to have answered sooner, a rare trip to the big smoke distracted me and although I cant take London for too long - readers here might be very interested in the inside animals exhibition on at the Natural History Museum, takes taxidermy to a new level! details here

Animal Inside Out | Natural History Museum

Back to this thread then, so far then it seems its:
    a. very quick but with a fair amount of build up time
    b. very aggresive
    c. also applied to females

I assume that mating occurs directly after the rut then (in december right?). If they are equally matched are there fights to the death?
    Anyone know of a good book on them?
    Im getting quite fascinated by the sound of these little fellas, looks like I should make an effort to stalk one this year.
    cheers all
    Andy