Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lightest load for 30-06

lightest load for 30-06

what's the lightest bullet load you guys have succesfully got to stabilise and group in a standard 1:10 30-06?

I'm thinking for varmint, not deer?

I have shot 70 grain pistol bullets at 1200 fps from my 30-40 using Unique powder. Accuracy was about an inch at 25 yards with open sights. This could be duplicated in a 30-06 as well.~Muir

you thinking I buy 30 cal pistol bullets in the 70g range and load in the aught six? could probably buy the bullets on a trip to the US, but not in the UK I don't think.

I would want to load the aught six with something super light for long range varminting on days with little wind, so thought the light bullets would allow me some extraordinary MV's.

what's the lightest we can here off the shelf here, 110g ish?

Muir, I know it's a long-shot, but you don't know any good stores in Wash.DC where I can buy bullets and all sorts of stuff including smithing tools? google doesn't seem to suggest anything...

should hopefull be heading there end of may

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    you thinking I buy 30 cal pistol bullets in the 70g range and load in the aught six? could probably buy the bullets on a trip to the US, but not in the UK I don't think.

I would want to load the aught six with something super light for long range varminting on days with little wind, so thought the light bullets would allow me some extraordinary MV's.

what's the lightest we can here off the shelf here, 110g ish?

Muir, I know it's a long-shot, but you don't know any good stores in Wash.DC where I can buy bullets and all sorts of stuff including smithing tools? google doesn't seem to suggest anything...

should hopefull be heading there end of may
    For long range varminting! Well, that's a different story. I thought you meant like rabbits and such; "farm work" as I call it. Remember that lighter (shorter) bullets don't always reach out there. They bleed speed too fast. Were I to use the load I mentioned these days, I'd probably cast them. Yeah, I'm thinking 110's are your bet. Try 4895.

There are no gun shops in DC. Firearms are prohibited in the DC. (Which is why it has the highest murder rate of any city in the US) Luckily, right across the river in Arlington, VA there are a number of shops. My daughter once worked in DC but lived in Arlington and she mentioned that there were a few shops. Google "Gunshops in Arlington VA" and see what you get.~Muir

ha ha ha, that explains the lack of google results then! but can I buy stuff and bring it into DC and fly outta there alive with it?

thanks for your help M

P

PKL,

110grn Vmax, 56gn of 4895.
    these are producing 1 hole groups in my 30-06.

great, many thanks, will get some H4895 and some light bullets for the dirty six and see how we get on

Hi PKL, try cliffsgunsmithing he will have anything you will want. Very quick postage and if under 3 pounds very resonable rates. I havent bought bullets in this country for the last 2 years, saved a fortune.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Hi PKL, try cliffsgunsmithing he will have anything you will want. Very quick postage and if under 3 pounds very resonable rates. I havent bought bullets in this country for the last 2 years, saved a fortune.
    Tusker
    same here , a very good service i can throughly recomend him !

Cliff is a real Gent and does everything he can to keep the postage down too.
    Here's a picture of the Gent himself with a lovely Mule Deer he shot.