Thread: Snapped Key in ignition barrel

Snapped Key in ignition barrel

Yesterday I managed to snap (go knows how) the key in my ignition barrel , luckily I have spare keys so I can lock and unlock the vehicle fine. But, there is the rest of the key in the bottom of the ignition barrell. The truck started up fine with the other half of the key with a bit of jiggling about. But now I cannot start the truck, the key will not turn, just cant get the spot where it frees all the pins inside the ignition barrell. Anyway, options are,
    1) Should I replace the whole barrell?
    2) Should I try and fish the other half of the key out and what can I do to do this?
    3) Has anyone done this before that could help me? Looked on youtube and there are a few videos but I will need to buy an extractor tool/lockpick set.
    The vehicle is a 1994 Vitara

I have heard of people using half a coping saw blade, otherwise are you a member of the AA? They all carry broken key extractors.

Changing the ignition barrel is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I have heard of people using half a coping saw blade, otherwise are you a member of the AA? They all carry broken key extractors.

Changing the ignition barrel is a nightmare.
    COuld give it a go I suppose Kevin. I was thinking of dabbing some super glue on the end of the broken key, holding it in the barrell for 30 seconds and seeing if it sticks the other half of the key to it so I can opull it out, but dont want to clog up the barrell.

May possibly use a hook or pick tool (Snap-0n) or similar with the aid of a good magnet, or dental pick depending on length.

if unsuccessful I'm afraid it's a new barrel.

Atb, Billy.

PS. would'nt go down the superglue avenue as you'll clog the barrel up.!
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 05-04-2012 at 14:25.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

how much is broken off?

its not as hard as you think pulling an ignition barrel.
    once out you should be able to strip it and get the old key out

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    how much is broken off?

its not as hard as you think pulling an ignition barrel.
    once out you should be able to strip it and get the old key out
    Its broken off about halfway, I might take the steering rack covers off tonight and see if I can get it sorted later on.

you will have to navigate the anti theft bolts.
    easy if you have a dremel, just notch them and use a screw driver

Get hold of a couple of jewellers screwdrivers, the sets can be bought quite cheap..you don't need quality ones, just make sure you have a couple of very small ones.
    Use two of the smallest ones and try to get one on each side or edge of what's left of the key then lever it out . Be patient and you should succeed.
    I have done this with various snapped key situations and it works.
    ps.. you may need to file the end of the screwdrivers to get the ideal shape/size head.

I don't think superglue is a good idea at all, you are trying to get out of a bad situation, not make it worse.

fraser
    Last edited by private fraser; 05-04-2012 at 17:54.

hi mate if it is a thick key and you can see the other bit of key use a thin drill bit drill the thickest part of the key and then use a thin wire some thing like a wire nail tap it in the drilled hole and then pull gently did this on a neighbour's mondeo and pulled the key out, you can go the super glue route but first smear a little vasoline on the sides of the key then put you super glue on the end the vasoline will stop the glue going into the barrel.

paul
    I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.