Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How accurate?

How accurate?

At the range over the weekend I shot a Sako Trg. Hardly a stalking rifle I know but boy was it accurate. At 100m it was a case of slightly enlarging the hole the previous round had made in the target and that was with factory loads. So its got me thinking, how accurate can a semi custom or custom 'stalking' rifle be made to shoot? How does such a rifle stack up cost wise? And who's the best at this? I have a Tikka 595 that Riflecraft bedded and worked the trigger on which will clover leaf at 100m(with home loads) and for me thats fine but how much better can a custom rifle be?

MJR

Following some advise from world record holding bench rest shooter I now find 200m-300m a better proving distance of a rifles performance than 100m. Some of the kit these leading target, bench rest and F Class lads are shooting produces awesome accuracy performance.

MJR

Accuracy is a great thing, and it sounds like you already have it with your 595 that Andrew bedded for you.

Dont get caught up in it, how dead is dead

Max

Thanks guys. Yep ,totally agree, there is no need for a more accurate rifle but the more I get into it the more interested I get. Just really trying to establish how accurate a 'stalking' rifle can be.

I have a bog standard Tikka 595 in .222rem and this will shoot half inch groups all day long with certain reloads. Nobody has bedded it or adjusted the trigger which is just about ideal for me. I personally don't see the need for anything more accurate, though I do admit admiration for some of the custom rifles produced in recent years, but there again some of them needed improving.

How accurate?

About twelve years ago I bought Second Hand a Sako 75 Left Hand in 6.5x55 that had been re-barrelled from .270 by Medwell and Perrett.
    No bedding, just a free floating barrel.
    When first trying it on the range at 100 yards with a rest I fired a shot, which my mate called "One inch low and Half inch Left". I fired a second shot and he called "That has either gone down the same hole or you have missed the target completely". I fired a third shot which landed a quarter inch to the right of the first one and when checking the target closely you could see that the second shot had indeed gone into the first hole.
    Not boasting, just singing the praises of Medwell and Perrett. I don't know if they are still going as I have not heard of them for a while.

How accurate?

About twelve years ago I bought Second Hand a Sako 75 Left Hand in 6.5x55 that had been re-barrelled from .270 by Medwell and Perrett.
    No bedding, just a free floating barrel.
    When first trying it on the range at 100 yards with a rest I fired a shot, which my mate called "One inch low and Half inch Left". I fired a second shot and he called "That has either gone down the same hole or you have missed the target completely". I fired a third shot which landed a quarter inch to the right of the first one and when checking the target closely you could see that the second shot had indeed gone into the first hole.
    Not boasting, just singing the praises of Medwell and Perrett. I don't know if they are still going as I have not heard of them for a while.

http://www.r93.co.uk/35.html

accuracy out of the box!

trigger cant be adjusted, action cant be bedded/trued they just shoot bloody well.

might be tempted to send one in myself if i can get the bloody thing to open up a little

this is a 3 shot group at 150 yards from my .308, its not on the target because i took the 8x56 straight off the .243 without adjusting

this is 3 shots at 200 yards with the .243 55gn btip, note the tape on the fence and the strong side wind. only the windage has altered, not the elevation. the first two were 18mm apart.

this is two 2 shot groups at 300 yards with the 55 b tips, less then 50mm apart. the second group was adjusted 2 clicks high and right from the first to get it on target - this was from the .243 zeroed at 200 yards, although i moved the target to get the wind behind me.

and thats from a 12 year old blaser that rarely ever gets cleaned

Howa stainless 22-250 sporter. trigger tuned and recrowned. Not bedded but in a good stock. 3 shot, pity it wasn't me that shot it.
    edi

Out of the box .22-250 Tikka T3, 3.5-10x50 Kahles Scope using 55grn Federal Power Shok Soft Points, do you need more than that?

Chris