Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seems like it's getting through!

seems like it's getting through!

On the news this morning, a small piece on ticks, & Lyme disease, although the ranger type was advising carrying tweezers, NOT an O'Tom!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Also one sequence showing someone removing a tick using just their fingers. Not the best way I think!!

we had a talk at a bds activity day by wendy fox from bada who herself had contracted lymes disease and ended up in a wheel chair from it. by the time she had finished i was thinking about selling my guns and taking up knitting. ticks should not be taken lightly and everyone who may come in to contact with them should seek advise on them.

Whilst I wouldn't seek to minimise the suffering of those who have been adversely affected by this, we have to be careful not to over-state the problem.

Lyme disease has been around for a very long time - simple precautions can reduce the chances of being bitten, and even when bitten, the chances of catching anything are small and the chances of a serious reaction are much smaller yet. Narrow interest groups like BADA can do very good and useful work but they can also promote an issue to the point where a very unlikely event (a serious health issue from a tick bite in the UK) can seem an inevitability.

Let's not blow this out of proportion and put off people from getting outside and enjoying the countryside.

And one professional ghillie /stalker I know from Aberdeenshire blood tested positive for Lymes antibodies but didn't even know that he had contracted it !

[QUOTE=Knottaclu;355205]

Lyme disease has been around for a very long time - simple precautions can reduce the chances of being bitten[QUOTE]

Please can you be more specific? Thanks!

Please can you be more specific? Thanks!
    Gladly, but which bit?

In terms of history, Otzi (├–tzi the Iceman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) is the earliest known sufferer and the BMJ piece '"Lyme Disease In The Eighteeth Century" had some fascinating stuff including the description of the symptoms of Lyme by John Walker on Jura in 1764.

For everything you need to know about precautions etc. have a look here:

Tick Bite Prevention Week 2012

HTH
    Knots

Saw it but thought it was a very un informative and misleading, did not hear or see any talk of looking out for a bullseye rash and to tell poeple to remove with tweezers is wrong, also giving poeple the impession that its ok to remove with your fingers as they did with the dog is not on when there are tools out there, l know they were mentioned, good ol beeb not doing its homework again and misleading us.

For me, the mere fact that they had mentioned it at all was a revelation!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by monynut View Post
    Saw it but thought it was a very un informative and misleading, did not hear or see any talk of looking out for a bullseye rash and to tell poeple to remove with tweezers is wrong, also giving poeple the impession that its ok to remove with your fingers as they did with the dog is not on when there are tools out there, l know they were mentioned, good ol beeb not doing its homework again and misleading us.
    You are correct on most of what you have written but the Lady Doctor did come on and explain about the Bullseye rash. The best way to remove them is with a Tic Twister sold in most Chemist's in Scotland or off the internet. The most important part of removing a Tic is getting the head out and the twister does this no problem. If the head is left in then this will result in an abcess forming.

Jimbo