Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 magnum for Deer

44 magnum for Deer

Beginners Question&nbsp;<br>I get the impression that Lever Action Rifles and some pistol cartridges (.44 Rem Magnum for example ) seem to be in common use in the USA for woodland Deer shooting but not in Britain. Is this because of the law, calibre or type of stalking undertaken over here? I used to own a Marlin U/L .22 many years ago and I loved it - are they just unfashionable these days I wonder? I have noticed one or two for sale on the internet and, being left handed they suit me <br>Apologies if this seems a daft question &nbsp;- probably the first of many from me

Providing you meet the energy requirements (1700f/lbs) they are perfectly legal in England and Wales. I know Leverman uses one:
    https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/38033-My-1892-win-in-44-rm?highlight=.44
    And I have just got one on my ticket for deer but am awaiting the funds to actually buy one
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Beginners Question&nbsp;<br>I get the impression that Lever Action Rifles and some pistol cartridges (.44 Rem Magnum for example ) seem to be in common use in the USA for woodland Deer shooting but not in Britain. Is this because of the law, calibre or type of stalking undertaken over here? I used to own a Marlin U/L .22 many years ago and I loved it - are they just unfashionable these days I wonder? I have noticed one or two for sale on the internet and, being left handed they suit me <br>Apologies if this seems a daft question &nbsp;- probably the first of many from me
    It would be permissible in England and Wales providing a muzzle energy of 1700 ft lbs was attained. 300gn bullet 1598 fps, 240gn bullet 1786 fps.
    In Scotland there is also a minimum velocity requirement of 2450fps which I am fairly certain the .44 mag cannot attain.
    Last edited by Stover Rover; 06-04-2012 at 08:28.

I shot a scoped lever action .357 winchester once.
    lovely thing to shoot.

shame it would probably be under-gunned for deer at present legal limits.

Why not try a 30-30. It's a nice light recoiling round that will drop any deer and give you a little more range.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrion View Post
    Why not try a 30-30. It's a nice light recoiling round that will drop any deer and give you a little more range.
    Is normal factory .30-30 legal for red deer?

Hornady's 160 grain "Leverevolution" load does 2400 fps with 2046 ft/lbs at the muzzle.~Muir

I've got a Win 94AE in .44mag but don't have deer listed on my ticket for said gun - food for thought!

Thanks for all the comments folks.
    It looks like I will have to ask for the weapon for target and deer shooting.
    Do I have to obtain permission from landowners to shoot deer beforehand - that's probably a question for another part of the forum
    Thanks again
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Thanks for all the comments folks.
    It looks like I will have to ask for the weapon for target and deer shooting.
    Do I have to obtain permission from landowners to shoot deer beforehand - that's probably a question for another part of the forum
    Thanks again
    Ed
    you usually need landowners permission to shoot anything, even cardboard.