Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble at Loch Lomond

Trouble at Loch Lomond

Happened to spot this:

Anti-social behaviour crackdown at Loch Lomond | Glasgow and West | STV News

I was slightly confused when reading it as to exactly was happening and wondered if any local SD'ers could enlighten me.

TIA
    Knots

I used to fish and waterski through on Lomond.

I would think the issue is being caused by several factors namely, stunning location, easily accessible from the largest city in Scotland and about 90min drive from Edinburgh, lovely beaches, inviting local villages and pubs and all this being decended on by thousands of folk daily during holidays and in the summer months. There was an issue a few years ago about pleasurecraft and their speeds causing a disturbance/danger. In fact something rings a bell about a fatality there involving a jet ski????

I would think that is why the marine unit is involved to patrol the waters. The above is just a guess at what has led to this.

I wondered whether that was what it was, but noticed that an underwater search unit was involved and wondered why. Thanks.

We used to go through and 'informally camp'. We picked beaches not normally used and just hung out and did a bit of fishing. Jet-ski's came along and made a difference to the serenity without a doubt. My dad had a boat up at Ardlui and we would nip up of the weekend. This was all pre-western by-pass when you had to drive through Luss etc. Its changed somewhat now. Will they do something about the 30mph tourists as well. The views are stunning so pull over and admire, don't do it when your driving, it causes tailbacks and frustrates people behind who then try and 'get on' when its to dangerous and the inevitable happens. Road blocked and no easy detour to Kilmartin ! Once got behind a 20mph tailback, when I caught up with the cause at Crainlarich it was two dutch bikers riding sbs at 20mph looking round at the scenery as they drove.
    You can sit at the green wellie shop and watch the culprits being confronted at the petrol pumps by irate locals, quite amusing as most are as genuinlly oblivious to the chaos they have caused as they are to the use of passing places !

Quote Originally Posted by Knottaclu View Post
    I wondered whether that was what it was, but noticed that an underwater search unit was involved and wondered why. Thanks.
    I would guess that the underwater unit is all encompassing, and they will have access to the boat.

It is really a stunning area. Just too popular nowadays. Go in the winter or Autumn, it is still worth the visit then...

You could even include some hind stalking roundabout....

It is really a stunning area. Just too popular nowadays. Go in the winter or Autumn, it is still worth the visit then...

sounds Just like in the Lake District then spoilt by the tourist's

bob

This is an all too predictable unintended result of the perception that there is now completely unfettered right of access everywhere in Scotland. Squads of youngsters come out, camp, shag each other, stick needles in each other, get pished and then clear off leaving absolutely everything behind. Sooo, what does the National Park, ie those who promoted this access in the first place, do..... ban it. Where does that leave private landowners who suffer the same problems? Having to pay men to clear up several times a year, thats where. Pah.

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    This is an all too predictable unintended result of the perception that there is now completely unfettered right of access everywhere in Scotland. Squads of youngsters come out, camp, shag each other, stick needles in each other, get pished and then clear off leaving absolutely everything behind. Sooo, what does the National Park, ie those who promoted this access in the first place, do..... ban it. Where does that leave private landowners who suffer the same problems? Having to pay men to clear up several times a year, thats where. Pah.
    You have just described my youth, without the needles and leaving rubbish behind of course!!!

No-one ever had a problem then with you camping out on their land as you respected the permission you were granted...

'as you respected the permission you were granted...'

and thats where it all goes wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by macberran View Post
    Its changed somewhat now. Will they do something about the 30mph tourists as well. The views are stunning so pull over and admire
    I don't know when you last drove up the west side of Loch Lomond, it has changed a lot. There are hardly any views now, there is a near solid curtain of trees between the road and the loch.

Agree with what was said about the "Right to Roam" problems, the woolly hat brigade should have been careful about what they asked for in case they got it, in this case the sort of people they look down on are now invading their playground!