New filleting knife

leej

Not shooting related I'm afraid (forgive me admin). The time of year is fast approaching when my attention turns to chasing the beautiful Bass. I'm sure there must be a few others on here with the same intention! End of last season I managed to break my filleting knife, so my question is can anybody recomend a new make/model? I dont want to break the bank, but I dont mind paying sensible money for good quality either.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, and goodluck if you share my passion for this wonderful fish.

ATB Lee

have you had a look at the berkley range advertised in all the usual mail order shops in the angling monthlys?
Seem to hold a good edge and not stupid money.
Les

i have had all sorts of fillet knives ans over 20 years as a commercial fisherman and bassing for sport ive noticed no difference beetween a £35 knife of the rapala and martini
type or a £12 budget type they all end up going the same way providing you use them enough save your money and get a budget one as long as you keep it sharp it will do as good as one dipped in diamonds keeping it sharp is the key looking forward to this seasons run foxxer

Lee,

I've had one of these for a good few years and its never let me down. Mora have the knack of getting the balance between edge retention and easy of sharpening just right with their stainless. Mine has also been superb in salt water - no rusting.

Mora Long Fish Filleting Knife - Old Smokehouse Foods & Equipment

If you shop around you might get one for less than above.

Cheers,

Bob

P.S.

Best of luck with the bass. I love Staffordshire, but I sometimes wish it was nearer the sea !!!

Last edited:
+1 on this with dovebob the mora should do nicely good luck with the bass but they got to come up past us to get to you
we will take the big ones out and leave the schoolies for you lot :stir:

Thanks for the replys men. It looks like it's a toss-up between a Mora or Normark. Also thankyou d foxxer for your very sporting attitude and kind offer of leaving me a couple of schoolies!:evil:
Have you started hitting any yet? I will be out for the first time this coming week.
Also, what sort of marks do you fish? sandy or rocky? shoreline or off a boat? are you a bait man or artifitials?
I realise many like to keep these sort of things close to their chests, but as there are so many miles between us it cant hurt to share some info between us, can it? (by pm if you like).
Ps, you will find it hard to believe one of the marks I regularly catch them from.
Interested??

ATB Lee

lee not hitting any yet too early for the good uns getting the boat ready for next month for the manacles reef bit of a dodgy place as some times you have to go right in amongst the pinnacles and tide can be a right barsteward at times or the runnel stone down by lands end may produce the goods failing that nice pollock around the wolf rock lighthouse
but again tide can be trecharous shore marks kick off end of may early june if weather and sea temp right then follow round to north coast surf beaches using live honey backs
then in autumn use squid or peeler round the rocky coves joeys from the boat i often think about becoming a bass guide cos some of the people on holiday in the summer are always striving to find good bassing but you know as well as i that if they are there and the timing is right you will catch them last year was a good run of 6 to 8 pounders shoreside plus lots an lots of 4to 5 dont know bout you but i only take a couple to eat let the rest go because too many ****s down here catching smaller ones an selling em to the slopes atb foxxer

I'm sooooo envious of the quality of fishing you have available to you.:drool: I'm a mere amateur by comparison. Most of my bass fishing is on a local river, but I'm catching them almost five miles upstream of the estuary on evening in-coming tides. No bait fishing all on various artificials, from small spinners to medium pike plugs. No monsters, but I've had a couple over 6lb. I use 10ft spinning rod, (10-30 gram) light braid and a 10lb mono leader. It is outstanding sport!!! I keep every other fish that is over 3lb, and this works out roughly to releasing 6or7 for each 1 that I keep.
The real beauty of this spot, is that I can start a session trotting a stick float through a swim with maggots after chub and dace, and end it spinning for bass! Plus it's only 5 minuits from my door step.
What I did find unusual in your last post was your shore sport not kicking off till end of May, we get our first ones coming up the river in mid-April.(but they are few and far between)
Mid-summer I try and get as many trips as I can down to Rhosilly (worms head) on the Gower. Jumping around the rocks dodging waves spinning during the day, then gather some peelers in the evening to bait-fish under darkness. I only fish about 20 yards out, into about 18 inches of water. A 2 ounce lead bouncing around in waves with a peeler the size of a tennis ball, then BANG! As you know foxxer when your stood there on your own in the dark it feels like being struck by lightning! It's pure magic!
Tight-lines my friend.:D

ATB Lee

ah lee dont be envious its not all milk an honey we get more than our fair share of blanks and i have been done by decent bass on the shore several times one beach we fish they run towards you like a torpedo and so fast you cant wind to keep up fast enough so you literally have to run up the beach to try to keep contact and depending on the state of tide you come up against the foot of the cliff with nowhere to run good fun tho from wot you say in your post i wouldnt say you are an amature you seem to be doing ok and i am no expert its just that we got a good choice of venues being surrounded by sea on three sides if its no good on one side of the coast ie penzance on the southside we can be in newquay area on the north coast in a half hour but the downside is we got little in the way of deer down my way but if you ever get down this way look me up and i will do my best to put a bass on yer hook from 2 feet of water but i cant gaurantee it bass being what they are ect ect atb foxxer

It looks like it's a toss-up between a Mora or Normark.
ATB Lee

I have two Normarks which are both well over 30 years old (when they came with leather sheaths?) - one with a short 6" blade and one (about) 10". Both have been abused, left out is saltwater spray for days on end and neither shows any sign of dying yet.

They are always very sharp (I use a Spiderco Triangle sharpener) and used for bait prep and catch filleting.

Superb value for money and I would 100% recommend them.

Can I also suggest you buy some pin bone tweezers as these really finish fillets off to perfection.

Enjoy your bass.

Thanks for your advice men. I've made my mind up at last, and I'm going to buy both!! A Normark and a Mora. I will decide on a favourite and keep the other as a spare. After all a man can't have too many knives, can he?

ATB Lee

Back