Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150 sst' vs 150 nossler bt's

150 sst' vs 150 nossler bt's

Does any one load sst's for a .308 with varget i would be interseted in thier findings and how they rate them opposed to bt's, i have been using noss 150 bt's that i find ok and very accurate but some times i get pass through with little expantion.
    Someone suggested that im pushing the bullet to slow as i am at the bottom of the powder charge range, so i have loaded a few up to max 48.5 from 45 this is a compressed load and i have tried a few going up in increments through the rifle with no apparent signs of presssure and will put some through the chrony and test them for accuracy as soon as i can.

The hornadys are cheap in comparison to the nosslers not that that is the reason for change, i just wanted a more expantion forgot to say the barrel is 20" so maybe that has an effect on speed too.

Any thoughts or experiences ? thanks DF

Hi DF

I use Varget in my 308 which also has a 20'' barrel. I have had similar experieces to what you suggest regarding little expansion. I am basing that on the very little damage caused. having said all thet, the bullet is still doing its job and the deer are dropping. It's sika so I should add eventually. I would only be concerned if I was neck shooting a lot more because I would want a lot more expansion for that type of shot.

There is always a pay off with a short barrel, and the nice balance and light weight is offset with having to accept the slower MV. That said, I have not had a chance to Chrono mine si I do not know what it is actually doing. I do think though that 48.5grns is high for the load, and I know mine is far from being compressed. I will have to check when I get home but either 44.5 or 46.5grns of Varget rings a bell in Federal cases. Still a bit of room in them.

I know Von on here shoots a good few sika with the 150grn SST's and would be good to ask about how he finds the performance. I think he was also talking recently about shortening his barrel so it would be interesting to see how that went. I actually have a box of SST's in the house to try but not had the chance yest. Last season I was using 150grn Sierra SPBT Gamekings which have a rep for being a good expanding bullet, but with the MV of my rifle it is very controlled.

Interesting post though because folk should look more into what the manufacturer recommends as the optimum impact velocity to get the best performance out a bullet. They are all different. Hence Nosler have the Partitions and the BT's running alongside each other.

I cant help with your load data but as far as hornady 150 sst's go in the 308 on deer they just blow them to bits no use at all ive stopped using them !

Hi Double Four

Tried to PM you earlier mate but your inbox is full mate

Regards

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I cant help with your load data but as far as hornady 150 sst's go in the 308 on deer they just blow them to bits no use at all ive stopped using them !
    As said above, what velocity are they being driven at? they are not designed to impact on an animal at 3500FPS from a win mag. If that is what happens regardless from a 308win then they will be perfect for neck shooting, lol

Have a look at this web site. Lots of info on .308 's, short barrels, factory loads, hand loads and the terminal effects of different bullets at different ranges on different size animals. Should answer a few questions, even the unasked ones! Been mentioned before on this forum but worth mentioning again.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

Bob

Had a play today between showers i ran out of printer ink so i had to cobble a heath robinson target up but the load looks good, about 1/2" high on the nossler 45gn but just as good grouping though.
    Not tried the 48 gn bt load yet will try tommorow and chrono them too, thanks for the heads up 375 has anyone else experienced this with sst's before i go any further ?

Quote Originally Posted by wayneinthepub View Post
    Hi Double Four

Tried to PM you earlier mate but your inbox is full mate

Regards Wayne

Sorted bud

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Have a look at this web site. Lots of info on .308 's, short barrels, factory loads, hand loads and the terminal effects of different bullets at different ranges on different size animals. Should answer a few questions, even the unasked ones! Been mentioned before on this forum but worth mentioning again.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

Bob

Bob thanks for the link, thats a very informative site and backs up what others on here have said about .308 velocitys and clean kills . DF

Sst's are ballistic tips as far as I know,I tried some 180gr sets in my 30-06 and had same result,they blew big holes in roe,dint realise this til I shot a doe and fawn,kinell they were big holes,never used them again for stalking,blew of the rest at targets