Ticks ( News report on Breakfast News )

Dekit

I watched a report on Ticks this morning BBC Breakfast News ! There is an increase in ticks in the UK and are worning people about Lyme disease, the Park ranger from dartmoor seems to think its ok to use EYEBROW pluckers on ticks ??? I believe that if you squeeze the body of a tick it regurgetates the contents of its stomach and thats how people get the infection ( Lyme disease ) . He did mention tick plyers but that was at the end of the slot... Am i right about the squeezeing of the body ???

ATB

Steve........

I watched a report on Ticks this morning BBC Breakfast News ! There is an increase in ticks in the UK and are worning people about Lyme disease, the Park ranger from dartmoor seems to think its ok to use EYEBROW pluckers on ticks ??? I believe that if you squeeze the body of a tick it regurgetates the contents of its stomach and thats how people get the infection ( Lyme disease ) . He did mention tick plyers but that was at the end of the slot... Am i right about the squeezeing of the body ???

ATB

Steve........

You certainly are mate have a look here Home page: BADA-UK this charity was set up by a woman who was left in a wheelchair by lymes disease tons of info on there,the best tool for the job is a tom o tick twister my dogs get quite a few so use it on a regular basis it really is easy when you use the correct tool for the job.....

You certainly are mate have a look here Home page: BADA-UK this charity was set up by a woman who was left in a wheelchair by lymes disease tons of info on there,the best tool for the job is a tom o tick twister my dogs get quite a few so use it on a regular basis it really is easy when you use the correct tool for the job.....
+1 :tiphat:

I had one in my side when i returned home from a fishing trip once, horrible things, luckily i managed to remove it safely before it burrowed in properly. Everytime i return home from fishing/hunting or just being out in the field i check myself over just to make sure theres no more.

I had one in my side when i returned home from a fishing trip once

Was sitting on the throne contemplating the infinite (as you do) and spotted one on the inside of my knee - that was despite all sensible precautions - they are determined little sods.

ATB

Steve........

100% right to remove them get a Tic twister called O Tom Tick Hooks from Bush Ware. www.bushware.co.uk Tel 0845 226 0469. Also if you pull the body you will possibly leave the head behind embedded in the skin this usually results in an abcess.

Jimbo ;)

Tick removal

Just bought a removal tool after years of pulling them off buy hand.You are never to old to learn.Thanks for the link.

Just bought mine from the Vet ( did not get your link for BADA in time ) nect time i will buy from BDA .....

Thanks for the replys guys ..

ATB

Steve.............

Yup I watched that report, then promptly phoned the BBC to let them know they were talking shite.
Couldn`t believe the showed some clot squeezing a tick off a dog, then told folk to use tweezers on them. Idiots

Yup I watched that report, then promptly phoned the BBC to let them know they were talking shite.
Couldn`t believe the showed some clot squeezing a tick off a dog, then told folk to use tweezers on them. Idiots

Well done Rake Aboot the Beeb often needs straitening out they never seem to be in key with countryside matters. Have never forgiven them for the rubbish reporting of the " Exmore Emperor" making us Stalkers out to be Morons for shooting him. If they had done their research properly they could have explained that game shooting is a country industry as is farming and that many livelyhoods depend on it and without mans management the Stag may not have reached the size he did. They also would have reported that at his age he was probably inbreading with his own offspring and this could have resulted in genetic defects but no they just jumped on the sensational journalism band wagon. Then have the brassneck to produce Countryfile as though they are experts overflowing with rural knowlege. They never explain that at agricultural shows that there are prize cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry and that when they have been used for food production these prize stock end up on the dinner table as did the Exmore Emperor. RANT over !!!!!!!

JImbo :banghead:

Back