Thread: Detachable sight mounts

Detachable sight mounts

Hi Guys

In the process of getting a sako quad in .22 WMR with a .22 LR spare Barrel.

My question is - on /off mounts I believe zeigler do these (not sure of any other suppliers) and I was toying with idea of getting one set of bases and 2 x 30mm mount sets , one for the .22WMR and one for the .22 LR and using two seperate zeroed illuminated scopes of a reasonable quality, or buy at great expense one with a IR and Ballistic turret system using the BT for each calibre for zero

Are the mounts any good for swapping and secondly will the zeroing be bang on each time

Have mentioned this before, can't make me mind up ?????? only want to do it once.

Any thoughts

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi Guys

In the process of getting a sako quad in .22 WMR with a .22 LR spare Barrel.

My question is - on /off mounts I believe zeigler do these (not sure of any other suppliers) and I was toying with idea of getting one set of bases and 2 x 30mm mount sets , one for the .22WMR and one for the .22 LR and using two seperate zeroed illuminated scopes of a reasonable quality, or buy at great expense one with a IR and Ballistic turret system using the BT for each calibre for zero

Are the mounts any good for swapping and secondly will the zeroing be bang on each time

Have mentioned this before, can't make me mind up ?????? only want to do it once.

Any thoughts

Phil
    Leupold do them which from what I have seen do the job http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...ems/qr-mounts/ warne do them for a picatinny rail which I have heard a few people down the rifle club use and they generally return to about zero but none are garenteed to go bang on to zero and you should always check your zero before shooting live game
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 06-04-2012 at 15:10.

Thanks Mongoose

Just had a look at the leupold type, they look ok to use on a rimmy

Greatly appreciated

Phil

used the Leupold QR for years yes ive always checked but as yet never had to re-zero also you can get them in QRW which is for a Pictanny/Weaver rail

As Stalkerboydy had Leupold on my Rimmy, Hornet for over 15 years and now fitted to my T3. Try Optics Warehouse but check they make them for your Sako i had to modify the ones i fitted on the T3 as they don't do them for Tikka .

I use the leupold QD mounts on my Sako quad , return to zero is very good (perhaps 1 click at 100yds on .17hmr mostly no need to zero) you will need a picatinny rail from diproducts in the states though. A bit of extra agro and expense but the only really good way to make the barrel swap thing work.
    The scope adjust way will be a pain in the neck cobined with difficulty mounting a scope far enough away from the barrel to detach it.

Burris used to make a scope specifically for use on a quad, 4 seperate colour coded dials on each of the adjustments, so you could have a different zero set up for each barrel. They are no longer in production but you might find one second hand although they are rarer than hens teeth.
    Noah

Got the leupold quick detachable mounts on my sauer .308 cal. Matched with the medium mounts the scope sits lovely and close to the barrel and also I can zero it, take it off and put it on over and over again and it returns to zero every time. Thoroughly recommended.

Cheers Guys

As always good advice, greatly appreciated.

Phil

As mentioned I have a set of the Leupold Q/R lever operated mounts on a rifle and on several others I have various q/r mounts such as Apel EAWswing, Apel Roll off, Weaver bases with suitable rings and the old Parker-Hale. I remove scopes as a regular thing and nearly always take a scope off if possible when cleaning a rifle . So far i ahve yet to find one that correctly set up the DID NOT RETURN TO ZERO.

In fact I used my Brno ZKK 601 with two sets of Hilver rings to test out a suspect new scope and compared it against a known good and reliable scope. Sure enough the "new right of the box scope" was faulty even though the importers denied this. The scope shot two nice tight groups about 2" apart the problem was that I shot 10 rounds slowly paced at the same point of aim and got these two five rounds groups. The first shot in the place that was aimed at the next shot went 2" high the third next to shot #2 and #4 alongside #3. this is seems was acceptable The Highland Outdoors................................... it was not acceptable to me.

The 6x42 scope used to cmapared the performance of the new scope had been taken off the rifle some time previously so I got ti back out loaded up a batch of the rounds normally used in the rifle and when re-fitted the scope sho to point of aim.