Thread: Stupid paperwork

Stupid paperwork

I am going to be having a swap around of a couple of rifles and it's going to end up me having a slot for a 223 moderator and owning a 223, and having a 22 hornet moderator and not owning a 22 hornet.
    I don't plan on getting another 22 hornet so I need the 22 hornet mod turning into a 223 mod.
    Can I only do this through a gun shop ie; sell them my 22 hornet mod and buy it back as a 223.

It all seems pathetic to me if I have to get a rfd to do this, could I not just put a letter in with my licence when I put it in for a variation explaining what I want to do and get them to swap the paperwork over without me having to get an rfd to do it.

Before you get a handful of different explanations on here, all conflicting, make an appointment with your FLD and actually go in an see the licensing manager, take your certificate with you, and see what they will do for you there an then. I have taken mine in for changes and they have happily done it without the need for a variation, it is after all a computer system and just requires a change from the drop down menu!

Less paperwork for them and a happy customer! Plus you save fees from not doing it through the RFD.

+1 to Stalker.308 advice, this should be no problem at all the national computer system can do this at the touch of a button. Good luck.

The hornet and the 223 Remington use the same size bullet (ok some hornets are 223" instead of 224"), so no change is needed, the law asks for calibre, not case dimensions. We and the police have needlessly complicate matters.
    Last edited by cjm1066; 08-04-2012 at 07:51.

Griff if the same moderator will be used with the .223 as you used previously with the hornet I can't see how this is at all complicated or stupid, or the need to involve a RFD. Simply give your firearms department a call and explain what you want to do. If done completely by the book they will ask you to submit a variation form but it could be that they will say just drop your certificate in with a note and we will amend the cert.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Before you get a handful of different explanations on here, all conflicting, make an appointment with your FLD and actually go in an see the licensing manager, take your certificate with you, and see what they will do for you there an then. I have taken mine in for changes and they have happily done it without the need for a variation, it is after all a computer system and just requires a change from the drop down menu!

Less paperwork for them and a happy customer! Plus you save fees from not doing it through the RFD.
    AAHhh!, would that it were like this in Cheshire!,.... for quick turnarounds, I have to get to the H.Q. in Winsford around the time you would arrive at ground, to start stalking in!, if not, I can't even get through the doors, nay even the main gates! of what is in reality, a PUBLIC building!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

North Wales are such a joy to deal with! No complaints at all. Although Richard Yates the very experienced FEO that I have dealt with for many years has now been made redundant as he is too experienced, but I hope his legacy of sensible, fact based firearms licensing decisions will live on.

Cheshire have changed the system now the guy on the gate cannot exept anything to do with firearms someone from firearms has to meet you at reception and take the paperwork off you in person.
    New Firearms cert arrived on time this year the first time 23 years.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

........or you could just sell me the hornet mod for a really cheap price. I have a slot and it would be a great reason to come up to Middlesbro for a nite on the town with my smoggie mate. Job done!!!

Unless your hornet moderator is specifically designed to deal with gas volume of the hornet, simply screw it onto your 223 and use it mate, there is no where in the firearms law that says that a moderator has to be rifle specific.
    I use the same Ase utra mod on both my 22-250 and 257 as i dont have the luxury of being able to afford a mod for each rifle.

Ian.