Thread: My first roe - thanks to Bunwell Wood Shoot

My first roe - thanks to Bunwell Wood Shoot

So I bagged my first roe on Thursday morning thanks to Rob (and of course Mark) at Bunwell Wood Shoot, Norfolk, I'm elated to say the least... and here's how it went...

My first outing with BWS last year had proven unfruitful (even though we saw quite a lot) and being very welcoming and having some wonderful stalking ground I was keen to get back. So, following a few exchanges of text messages, Mark confirmed he was able to fit me in on Thursday AM... a chance for me to sneak off from the family holiday (in-laws, out-laws, etc.) for a few hours of sanity... 04:45 RV at the cottage with Rob, that meant up at 03:50 and just the one or two glasses of red with dinner the evening before (unlike the rest of the week).

I managed to bypass the holiday centre security without rousing too much suspicion and quickly made my way to Bunwell - driving down the lane I saw a munty doe and classed that as a good omen. I met Rob, did a quick check of gear, jumped into his motor and headed off for a short drive across a couple of fields where we debussed and made our way to a rather comfortable and windproof highseat (thank god) to await the arrival of dawn. At this point I must add that for some reason unbeknownst to me I had decided that a pair of lightweight summer hiking trousers, a t-shirt, a microfleece and a standard, unlined British army issue combat jacket would keep me warm whilst sat completely still for an hour or more at 5am... IDIOT. Well, at least (a) as mentioned the highseat was not some rickety windswept lean-to affair and (b) being freezing kept me awake (just! - having young kids means sleep is a luxury these days).

As dawn began to break we heard first the bark of a nearby munty and then that of a roe, neither cared to show their face however so we continued to watch the world waken around us, pheasants, pigeons, rabbits, crows etc. The surroundings were stunning. Rob explained to me that where we were sat was an arboretum, the late (farmer) owner had a passion for trees and he'd made it his mission to bring into this wood every species he could lay his hands on, over 1200! The place was also littered with massive swathes of daffodils and in some ways it felt like I was sat in a botanical garden, not a wood.

Just after 6 Rob said we'd jump down soon and begin to stalk the surrounding area and if nothing showed we'd head across to a different patch.

Come 06:30 (ish) a flock of crows lifted about 100m meters away dead ahead and after a minute or so out walked a roe doe (Rob explained later he'd been concerned it was a trespasser). That was enough to rouse me from my cold induced coma and set the heart racing. We watched intently through the binos to see what she would do, and importantly if she was on her own. Soon enough out walked a buck, 'BRILLIANT' I'm thinking. I wasn't 100% sure if he was still in velvet, but Rob assured me he was clean, 'DOUBLE BRILLIANT'. I could see he was a 6 pointer but not much beyond that. As I tracked him through the scope I was buzzing. He stopped, dropped his head to eat and I then increased the pressure on the trigger until 'crack'... 'thwack', a 100gn Federal hit him right behind the shoulder. Well, off he set at 100mph and I'm thinking, 'Christ, that shot looked and felt bang on target', but after no more than 50 yards he dropped, kicked out for a few seconds and then lay still. Heart pounding we watched for any further action.

My first roe in the bag!

After about 5 minutes we jumped down and stalked in a wide arc to the buck (to see if anything else was nearby that hadn't bolted). The doe was still hanging around, looking a bit confused as to where her buddy had gone.

With nothing else showing we made our way back to the buck, carried it the short distance to the motor and then drove back to the larder. A quick gralloch showed that my round had decimated the lungs but clean missed the heart hence the shot reaction. On inspection he was definitely one for the cull, a six pointer alright but one point was broken and he looked like he was getting on a bit/on the way back - nice to see these guys manage the deer rather than hammer them.
    After getting the deer into the chiller Mark knocked us up a hearty breakfast, we had a good chat about all things stalking and I then got myself back to the 'holiday'... not a bad morning considering I was back by 09:30am.

Many thanks again to Rob and Mark, they have a great set-up and I thoroughly recommend them to anyone in, or visiting, Norfolk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROE BUCK.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	14330

Thankyou for that, It was a pleasure to have you with us again. The head is done and on a shield and the venison is in the chiller. If Stig gets in touch with any of you pros out there take him out, he is a pleasure to guide and a real sportsman.

Many thanks

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Thanks Frank, it`s been a long time coming...

Mark, you`re a star, can`t wait to see the mount, just tonight discussing with the wife when i might get up to collect (and trying to negotiate another stalk in )

Cheers,

Stig
    Last edited by stig; 09-04-2012 at 20:46.

nice going,
    exellent laughs with mark and crew .lovely stalking ground i have got to get back soon ,atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    nice going,
    exellent laughs with mark and crew .lovely stalking ground i have got to get back soon ,atb wayne
    Your right there. We are waiting

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

wont be long now mark work is sorted now back to normality as im now officially office bound . finally got a good outcome on my accident so pressure is now off stalking here we come,its been a hell of a ride thes last 12 months see you soon,wayne ps sorry to stig for the hijack it wasnt intentional

Picked up my mount and deer tonight, well pleased!

Thanks again to Mark & Co at Bunwell!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	14871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	14872