Thread: Traveling to Africa

Traveling to Africa

Hi, I fly in 4 weeks to S.A. via Virgin airways with internal flight to East London with SAA, my PH is suggesting I get a meet and great company to fast trak me thro J,burg, with getting notorised copies from a solicitor and all charges this will be around 150, anyone done the two connecting flights etc. What is the basic thing I need to do as I'm traveling on my own this time and previously was met by my PH at J'burg as the was no ongoing internal flight, also where do I get my baggage labels as Vigin are on line check in. deerwarden

TO APPLY FOR A PRE-ISSUED PERMIT YOU NEED THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:

COPY OF PASSPORT
    COPY OF INVITATION LETTER
    COPY OF RETURN TICKET (itinerary)
    PROOF OF OWNERSHIP FOR FIREARM (US CUSTOMS FORM 4457)
    SAPS 520
    • The police request the original document (saps 520)
    • Please use Black Ink
    • Date must be - Year - Month - Day
    THE NEXT PAGES OF THE SAPS 520 FORM MUST BE FILLED IN:

• PAGE 2 D; E; 1-25.4 (D 1 UP TO 25.4)
    • PAGE 4 G; 1-9.2 (G 1 UP TO 9.2)
    • PAGE 5 I; 1-2
    • PAGE 6 I; 4-4.4 J; 1-4 (SIGNATURE MUST BE ON I; 4.3 J; 3)

download the saps 520 form here http://www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevent...pplication.pdf

all you need is a letter of invitation from your PH with his outfitter number and PH license number, stating the dates of your trip, the species to be hunted, and your rifle details (calibre and serial number)

its really not that hard.

Make sure you speak to Virgin on the phone and tell them you are travelling with firearms, then phone up a few days later and get them to confirm it, in writing if possible.

once you get to Joburg, you need to collect your bags from the carousel, then go through customs and go to the firearms office on the right hand side of the arrivals hall. Go through all the red tape there, and then once you have your firearms and your temporary firearms permit you can go and check in to your internal flight and they will ask you for your documents etc, and there may be a small charge.

Fully agree with danp - it's not that hard but make sure you have several photocopies of each of the documents you require - none of the places evere seems to have a working photocopier. Also, there are always porters - in orange overalls - around. Grab one, tell him you have firearms and they know the score. They'll get you to the firearms office and then up to the terminal for East London. You'll get a pint of Guiness in the pub in that terminal whilst you are waiting!!!
    East London is smaller and I imagine your PH will be there to meet you and sort things out there.
    Be aware that on the way home they seem to chop and change the rules regarding bullets in bag or not in bag and they will probably hit you for a fee at Jo'burg to get your gun on the plane. usual story.
    have fun, that's the main thing.

DANPD, many thanks for the advice, my mate today went recently and said same thing about grabing a porter to get your gear and get you through etc, I can take an extra beast now. deerwarden.

Deerwarden,

All you have to do is collect your bag off the carousel and go through the green channel and on clearing the waiting throng turn right and go to the SAPS office. Your guns and ammo will be taken there.

Handing over a completed 520 form with copies of your passport, FAC, letter of invitation and e-ticket is all it takes to get a permit. I take 40 minutes from plane wheels touching down to leaving the car park.

Can't see the value in a meet and greet.

Stan