Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243, barrel life?

.243, barrel life?

I'm possibly thinking of swapping the .270 for a .243? How many shots do you get out of the gun in total and how many before the accuracy starts to drop?

My only other question is that I'm only really shooting roe,(and I have a .22-250). Would I be better looking at something like a 6.5x55 incase I do get some red deer shooting? At the moment it's mainly the smaller stuff.

Ps the gun I was looking at had fired about 5/600 rounds. I realise hot rounds makes a difference but a rough idea would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I'd say either keep the .270, or if you feel its too much, then yes 6.5 is a good choice if you're also shooting reds or sika now and again. the .243 works for reds too, but not ideal IMHO and experience. are you using the22-250 for roe now? if so, just stick with it and use the 270 for the bigger stuff. don't forget though, the Swede is also a long action, so not much of a step down from your .270. Have you considered a 260rem?

edit: 500 rounds isn't much for a .243, I expect 3000+ out of my sako

May I ask how long is a piece of string?

No one can tell accurately how long a barrel will last as there are several factors that effect this life. The quality of the barrel for a start, how much abuse it gets and how much care it gets, shoot lots of rounds through it in quick succession can if you get it hot enough vastly reduce it's life by washing the throat out. Improper cleaning can do more harm than good.

Thanks for the replies! Didn't realise you got so many shots out of a barrel.

I'll probably keep the .270 unless I come across a nice 6.5

In the meantime I was thinking of shortening the barrel on the .270. Its a sako 75 with a north star mod and a Harris bipod on the end,(very front heavy!). How short can I have the barrel chopped within reason? It is basically full length just now. As I'm basically not ever going to shoot more than 250 yards,(and in all honesty not more than 150) loosing a few fps for better balance seems like a good idea.

Any ideas how short I should cut it?

Thanks in advance!

Meant to say the stock is synthetic so not much weight at the butt end

i had a client once who had a ruger in .243 that had fired 10,000 rounds over 12 yrs from new and was still holding zero !

you cant really knock that , can you ?

In reality your likely to get in the region of 1600 to 2200 shots from the 243 before groups open up noticably. And then another 300 to 600 shots with decent accuracy.

Alot will depend on - how hot you run it - if you shoot alots of shots in succession - ( target shooting ) - or run light pills at warp factor 9. Any of these will dramatically shorten barrel life.

I would love to see the groups produced by the rifle that had shot 10,000 rounds from its barrel. - I bet it looks like a rifle thats fired 10.000 rounds.

ATB
    Alan

Smile

hi my tikka fired 3000 or more still bang on it will last me out

Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    In reality your likely to get in the region of 1600 to 2200 shots from the 243 before groups open up noticably. And then another 300 to 600 shots with decent accuracy.

Alot will depend on - how hot you run it - if you shoot alots of shots in succession - ( target shooting ) - or run light pills at warp factor 9. Any of these will dramatically shorten barrel life.

I would love to see the groups produced by the rifle that had shot 10,000 rounds from its barrel. - I bet it looks like a rifle thats fired 10.000 rounds.

ATB
    Alan
    well i last saw the client 7 yrs ago and he went on my rifle range and shot a sub MOA 3 shot group , i think ive still got the target some where !

ill post it if i can find it .