Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a new one on me........

Here's a new one on me........

A friend sent me these pics of a VERY BIG tom cat that was running with this dog fox for a month or more(seen by the farmer and my friend)they were eventually trapped 'together' as he doesn't have a rifle to do the job,and duly sorted,but my question to all is....have you ever heard of a fox running with a feral cat before? I guess they must of been sharing kills,and it seems they were very happy to be around each other as they must of entered the trap together......weird!!

In the trap,and as you can see the cat is still alive at this point.....

Put together to show how big this Tom really was......

This pic was taken by the farmer before it took both lambs(out of sight of the farmer)and he was shot later,they are brazen as feck when they need to feed young!

Martin

I have never seen or heard of any thing like that before.
    That is one bloody big cat.

OK, i understand feral cats are a problem, but posting a picture of a dead cat on a public forum could be inviting trouble for the shooting community and indeed this forum.
    Cheers
    Richard

I see your point about upsetting certain people but have just been on the BASC website to see what they say about feral cats and this is the quote that I found.

Feral cats are prolfic killers of nesting birds. If it can be shown that they have bred or are living in the wild then they may be humanely despatched

Regards

Wayne

i guess the farmer likes to have rats and other vermin around the farm, on a farm i shoot they have a large population of feral cats by that i mean 10-15 plus and have never seen a problem with them infact they are a bonus around the pens as we have never had a rat problem since their numbers have increased,and a true wild cat will only kill for food and only what it can eat in one go unlike a fox that will kill everything,would think twice about shooting anymore or posting the pictures

is it a big cat or a small fox? only looks like a cub.hard to tell without anything to gauge it for size

Very interesting,Ive never heard of this before.Ill ask some of my mates who are keepers.
    Atb John.

Quote Originally Posted by fibrewad View Post
    i guess the farmer likes to have rats and other vermin around the farm, on a farm i shoot they have a large population of feral cats by that i mean 10-15 plus and have never seen a problem with them infact they are a bonus around the pens as we have never had a rat problem since their numbers have increased,and a true wild cat will only kill for food and only what it can eat in one go unlike a fox that will kill everything,would think twice about shooting anymore or posting the pictures
    Feral cats are a menace and will gobble up any of your wild pheasant chicks that they may find.
    They also kill young blackbirds, thrushes etc which have just vacated the nest and are not fully independent plus any other easy meal.
    Like badgers and foxes they are at the top of the food chain and show no respect for protected species.

HWH.

Feral cats found within the wire,attempting the wire, declared vermin.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    OK, i understand feral cats are a problem, but posting a picture of a dead cat on a public forum could be inviting trouble for the shooting community and indeed this forum.
    Cheers
    Richard
    So whats the difference between a picture of a dead deer (or any other animal) and a ferral cat? they are both legal quarry as long as they are taken by legal means and dispatched in a humane way?
    By not openly showing what really go's on in real life ourselves are we not pandering to the anti's ability to use these photo's of legitimate vermin control for the purposes of adverse publicity?
    Surely, whilst there may or may not be a legitimate argument for/against not deliberatly posting provocotive photo's, should we not be using photo's of the results legitimate vermin control/management of the countryside in order to give a balanced and unedited view of the realities of life in the british countryside?

Tikkat3