Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fits in dogs

fits in dogs

has anyone else experienced dogs that have had fits? i have a 3 1/2 year old hound that has had 3 fits now and there dosnt seem to be any reason for it. any advice would be great.
    cheers
    clive

Do the fits occur after a bout of work or when the dog is just at rest as normal?
    If its at rest,your dog may have epilepsy or some other sort of condition
    I'd be getting it checked over by the vet,hope it's nothing sinister

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

A few years back I had a springer that at 3 years totally out of the blue took an epilectic fit. Took him to the vet and although epilepsy in humans can be controlled very well the medication is not effective in dogs. (This may have changed). He was put on phenobarbitone tablets which did control the fitting but I had to control the amount of water he could drink as the medication made him want to drink constantly.
    As time pasted I had to increase the phenobarbitone but we were now on a cycle of ever increasing the medication to cope with the fits. I decided it was unfair on the dog and put him down. As Wolverine rightly states epilectic fits are almost always at rest. Apparently they do not have any great effect on the dog but they can be a bit aggressive when coming back out the fit. My springer would have bitten anything near him.

Quote Originally Posted by clivecleaver View Post
    has anyone else experienced dogs that have had fits? i have a 3 1/2 year old hound that has had 3 fits now and there dosnt seem to be any reason for it. any advice would be great.
    cheers
    clive
    Can you please tell me the breed?

Diabetes doesn't cause fits. Epilepsy is by far the most likely. A trip to the vets is in order to rule out other possible causes.

Gazza - your dog was very unlucky. Most stabilise very well on phenobarb plus or minus potassium bromide. If that doesn't work then there are other drugs that can be used.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

have a lab that used to have fits, took him to the vet and he said that as long as they dont happen to often eg every other week then nothing to worrie about read in a book someware it could have been something to do with low blood sugar so started to give him a spoonful of honey with his food he has never had a fit since fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by roering View Post
    have a lab that used to have fits, took him to the vet and he said that as long as they dont happen to often eg every other week then nothing to worrie about read in a book someware it could have been something to do with low blood sugar so started to give him a spoonful of honey with his food he has never had a fit since fingers crossed
    That kind of backs up my statement, my friends spaniel would work fine all day they would experience a temporary blindness followed by a fit, diagnosed as low sugar, but it would appear that Apache is clearly better informed that I.
    Cheers
    Richard

We had two terriers that experienced fits. Our ex vet diagnosed calcium deficiencey.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

my lab has fits ,less often as he grows older mind.you can get diazepam to put up his bum if you think the fit is going on to long.reassuring to have in the house.vet said the same thing as long as its not to often its not a problem.i adore my dog and it scared the hell out of me at first but you get used to it and just reassure them and they like it dark whilst recovering.atb mike