13 11.82%
  • I have a deer dog who is adequate for my needs

47 42.73%
  • I have a fully trained deer dog who i can rely on in most situations

34 30.91%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trained deer dog

Trained deer dog

This is just for research and hope every one can be as honest as possible. How many of you have access to a fully trained deer dog. A dog that will track a deer for a considerable distance on a cold sent. eg after 2-4 hours and lets say for 500mtr in tight woodland.(worst case scenario).

What about those of us without enough work for a fulltime deer dog, but a gundog that will follow a scent and find deer?

I have a springer that finds deer before i see them and can find the deer when it runs of into cover after been shot having said that my dog has never had to find a deer i could'nt have found myself i also use him on pheasant shoots, i would like to think he would also be able to find a deer lost as in your description but touch wood he'll never need to !

bobt option 3 would suit you i think 375 your my hero mate . I wish i could have made that statement.

i have a dog that can do the above mentioned but i have allways said any one with a good dog aint the best shot me included

You dont need a dog just good field craft i tracked a wounded deer through 5 acres of dense woodland accross to open fields and finally a good 150 metres into wooded valley before i came accross it laying dead under a tree you just need to know what to look for !!! This was helping a friend out who's client had f----ed up a few weeks ago no dog with me at the time

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    bobt option 3 would suit you i think 375 your my hero mate . I wish i could have made that statement.
    Thanks, the old spaniel can multitask, must be a woman thing?
    the wifes Jack Russell thinks he is a deer dog, he can find them but thinks all should be chased, little ****.

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    You dont need a dog just good field craft i tracked a wounded deer through 5 acres of dense woodland accross to open fields and finally a good 150 metres into wooded valley before i came accross it laying dead under a tree you just need to know what to look for !!! This was helping a friend out who's client had f----ed up a few weeks ago no dog with me at the time
    The Americans are amazingly good in following a track without a dog but a trained dog will beat them anytime. Read John Jeannery's books.

A 400 yard track is an appetiser before lunch. Let us know once you have done a 1KM follow up and then we will talk about serious tracking. Admittedly it is rare but the fact that my dog can do it when needed make me sleep well.

Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    i have a dog that can do the above mentioned but i have allways said any one with a good dog aint the best shot me included
    What about your friends as well?

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    This is just for research and hope every one can be as honest as possible. How many of you have access to a fully trained deer dog. A dog that will track a deer for a considerable distance on a cold sent. eg after 2-4 hours and lets say for 500mtr in tight woodland.(worst case scenario).
    The beauty of a trained dog is that if there is some "tight woodland" you can just walk with you dog around it. If no tracks are coming out the deer must still be inside. If not you have saved yourself a good crawl. But of course you need to train your BMH for this.
    Last edited by barongcw; 08-04-2012 at 16:54.