Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are your fox numbers down too?

Account Suspended

Are your fox numbers down too?

I've shot fewer foxes than usual this winter, not that I shoot big numbers of them. The curious thing is there's not even been any sign of foxes around me recently (i.e. the last month or so has been foxless) Lambing has started and the fields are full of lambing ewes and new lambs. So, I'm not complaining but it is unusual to have no sign of fox at the very time I usually encounter most problems and consequently shoot most of them.

Are any of you experiencing a similar, unexpected, fox holiday?

Btw... Badger numbers are as high as I've ever known here... Might there be a link?

My fox numbers are down by 1. I shot a big dog fox this morning.

no good numbers about especially infront of the house

My numbers are up from last year, shot 2 on Thursday night, i can't remember a night i have been out and not saw one or more, i agree that there are a lot of badgers about at the moment, probably due to the mild winter.

Eric, a farmer friend here in the Lake District shot 8 in three nights in his lambing fields last week and a tagged lamb has gone since then.
    We have numerous Badgers in this area also hence a shortage of Curlew, Lapwing and Skylarks.

HWH.

I hammer the foxes from silage time right through to lambing. Been out with the lamp a few times recently but not a fox to be seen. Anybody who waits till the lambs are in fields is not on top of the job. They certainly will fill back in but meantime no lambs have been lost and silage time is not all that far away.

Just heard of one nearby farm with TB. They have had a closed herd for 24 years so makes you start to wonder about badger.

our are well down, but we had a good year on them 121 to date on 1 , 3k acre estate

Well down here.
    I only see two about with the lamp. Thats it, they are gone. Got seats out and baits so hopefully it wont be too long.

In fact I cant remember the last time I shot one, very quiet.

I remember when I had rabbits to shoot every visit, now I rarely see one let alone get a shot.
    I wish I knew where they went, because I think the foxes have gone looking for them, certainly none about
    here, or even signs that they are about when I'm not.

Neil.

I remember when I had rabbits to shoot every visit, now I rarely see one let alone get a shot.
    Now thats one thing we have plenty of.
    More than I can ever remember seeing here.
    It will help keep my eye in I suppose.