Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What muzzle thread for a Tikka?

What muzzle thread for a Tikka?

Hi all, first daft question from a newbie! I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 x 55mm. It's currently unmoderated and the muzzle has not been screw cut. I've done plenty of reading on moderators, but am a bit confused as to which thread is the best to choose. I suspect there is no "best" and that as with many other things in shooting its a compromise or divides opinion!

So, as I have the "luxury" of being able to choose what thread size to have cut and then buy a moderator to suit, what should I choose? 1/2" UNF seems to be the most common, particularly in second hand mods, but it seems to me a slightly bigger metric thread like M14 will leave a little more metal on the barrel leaving it stronger and also supporting the mod better? Could I (or more to the point should I) go to an even bigger thread? I'd like to buy or have made a thread protector too so that is a consideration.

Apologies again if I'm asking something which has been asked a million times before. I know how that happens with forum newcomers - but I did try a search but with no joy, honest!
    Last edited by Blunderbuss; 09-04-2012 at 10:38.

I would choose M14x1. Factory threaded T3's come in M14x1 and M18x1 for Varmint as far as I know.
    Saying that the 1/2"x20 will also do for a 6.5
    edi

Cheers Edi, I didn't know it was the factory standard. That makes sense.

have the minimum of metal taken off

I like to keep all mine the same.
    12.7mm of a unf or 14mm of a metric. I have UNF because thats what the first rifle i bought had on it.
    NJC is going with 14x1 for the same reason.

14x1 is the std for Tikka's now on your barrel so i guess that i would go with the 14x1

all the best

Phil

Had mine cut 14x1 with no issues.

Dave

Everyone seems bother about the thickness left around the bore but no one seems bothered with having enough shoulder for the Moderator to butt up against. Some how I find this rather strange. The shoulder provides support and strength when the moderator is screwed up tight against it.

Given a choice I will always use a fractional thread rather than metric. The tolerances on the metrics are just too sloppy for my liking. Threads like the UNF just fit much better when both threads are made to the correct gauges. Sadly it seems very few actually use ant gauges when cutting threads on muzzles as they seem to use the moderator as a gauge......................... very poor practice IMHO. How do they check the Moderators thread was cut correctly?

sporter m14x1 and varmint m18x1 cant go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Everyone seems bother about the thickness left around the bore but no one seems bothered with having enough shoulder for the Moderator to butt up against. Some how I find this rather strange. The shoulder provides support and strength when the moderator is screwed up tight against it.

Given a choice I will always use a fractional thread rather than metric. The tolerances on the metrics are just too sloppy for my liking. Threads like the UNF just fit much better when both threads are made to the correct gauges. Sadly it seems very few actually use ant gauges when cutting threads on muzzles as they seem to use the moderator as a gauge......................... very poor practice IMHO. How do they check the Moderators thread was cut correctly?
    I agree with all you say except the comment about metric threads, how can you say that metric threads are more sloppy then unified series? metric threads have classes of fits just like any other thread my friend.
    Imperial threads have all but died a death and Unified series are only beiny used because the yanks are still using them but the metric thread is gradually taking over there as well.
    I have fitted a fair few mods and have identical mods not fit the same thread, and as such i have had to cut threads to suit the moderator.
    IMO its some of the mod manufacturers who need to work within the standards laid down for thread fits, the rest of the engineering manufacturing industry did so many many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post

With the relevent Screw Plug Gauge i would hope............