Thread: Vermin rifle northern Ireland

Vermin rifle northern Ireland

Hi folks,

Im going to apply for a 17 rem or 20tac for long range vermin but im not sure what NI firearms will grant me for this purpose.
    I currently have a swift for foxes and would not part with this rifle but I need a short, lightweight rifle for carrying in the tractor with me in the spring/summer months when im working in the fields for popping crows out the window to maybe 250 yards max and the odd bunny aswell.
    I will take it with me most days when im out in the jeep feeding bullocks and heifers in the fields so this is an everyday working rifle really which needs to be light and handy for through window shots etc.
    I currently had an hmr and when I got fed up ofthe inconsistency I tried another but then realised the hmr is not for me, with the current price of hmr rounds I can reload for a small centrefire for similar cost.
    So my question is this:
    To all fellow Northern Ireland shooters, have any of you or know of anyone who has applied for and been granted such a rifle for vermin aswell as having another centrefire for fox?
    I have 22lr but I need something which is flat shooting for quick shots in hurried situations as the crows dont take long to catch on you are pointing something at them out the window. Lol.
    I have good reason so I cant see them turning me down but I want to ask and see what you think and which calibre do you think they would grant me.
    I have been putting this off for ages but I need the rifle now and need to get my finger out.

Regards

Garry

Hi Gary

Without getting into all the details online but I have a .223 for fox, rabbits etc and a .17 rem ( on my fac) for fox rabbits crows etc. you should have a problem.

Keith

When i asked PSNI about if i moved from Manchester to Lurgan with my 3 guns .22 rimmy,.17hmr 22.250 i was told i might aswell forget the 22.250 and subject to what land i had would be lucky to keep the .17hmr but the .22r/f was ok Needless to say i stayed in Manchester.

That's is bad advice from the psni, although it would depend greatly on how long ago you planned to move. The situation involving rifles has changed significantly over the past 5-10 years

Quote Originally Posted by sniper 19 View Post
    When i asked PSNI about if i moved from Manchester to Lurgan with my 3 guns .22 rimmy,.17hmr 22.250 i was told i might aswell forget the 22.250 and subject to what land i had would be lucky to keep the .17hmr but the .22r/f was ok Needless to say i stayed in Manchester.

It frankly doesnt surprise me if it was 3-4 years ago. When I applied for my swift it took 9 months and alot of phone calls and letters to get them to grant me it. I own 150 acres of my own land and I also rent another 120, it all is wide open hilly ground with long ranges.
    Lately they seem to have goten their act together and things seem to be moving along alot more smoothly which makes me wonder if they would now grant me another centrefire for such a purpose. 3-4 years ago I doubt I would have a chance.