Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minox binoculars - different grades?

Minox binoculars - different grades?

I've been browsing on eBay for some Bins (planning ahead) and found that the Minox "HG" range are going for 500 - 1000 and the Minox "BV" range are going for 150 - 200. Is the BV range a lower grade of glass, not as well made etc?
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

HG stands for happy glassing , and BV for blurred vision...... I would imagine !

i use the bv the glass is the same or so i have been told the hg use argon and the bv use nitrogen the twilight number is almost identical so i cant see it making any difference in that score the hg have a faster focus than the bv . i am well chuffed with mine that is until i left them on top of my van roof and drove down the road they do bounce well and still work just well scuffed and one side is chipped so i now need a new pair,atb wayne

i bought the 10x42 bv for about 140 very pleased with them very clear in low light,very good value for money

Another BV user here. Think I paid 125 a couple of years ago off fleabay. For the money they are hard to beat - miles better than the Canon bino's they replaced.

hh

Hi Adam, i cant tell you what the BV means, though I will say that i started with the BV minox and for the money they are good, however the HG (High grade)range use Schott glass and as you will know this is top end german quality...The Binos we used on your outing were HG Minox 8.5 x 43 which I have just sold and moved on to HG APO 8.5 x 43...If I had known you were looking for a pair you could have had mine http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...686#post348686

Keep an eye out and dont rush In to buying anything below your expectations...A good pair at the right price will turn up...ATB...Mark
    Last edited by sparko; 10-04-2012 at 17:50.

Not sure which model mine are but they are 8x42 cost about 250 and their spot on for the money i compared them to a pair of swarovski 10x42 and for the price i would nt have swapped !

Cant speak for the BV or BL models but I would expect to see a slight improvement in low light and colour rendition. I chose the german 8x43 HG's and been very pleased with them. Excellent in low light and wil take me beyond anything I could shoot through my S & B sight.
    Keep an eye on Binoculars, Telescopes, Night Vision, Astronomical Telescopes, Bird Watching Binoculars - Sherwoods-Photo.com who are keenly priced but also offer ex demo models(no minox at the mo) I got a substantial saving on mine which had been at a trade fair then returned to the factory for cleaning and repackaging. Just like new.

Thanks for all the advice chaps - much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    Hi Adam, i cant tell you what the BV means, though I will say that i sterted with the BV minox and for the money they are good, however the HG ( High grade)range use Schott glass and as you will know this is top end german quality...The Binos we used on your outing were HG Minox 8.5 x 43 which I have just sold and moved on to HG APO 8.5 x 43...If I had known you were looking for a pair you could have had mine http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...686#post348686

Keep an eye out and dont rush In to buying anything below your expectations...A good pair at the right price will turn up...ATB...Mark
    Mark, yes, I was looking at Minox after having tried yours as they were superb! Just wondering what the difference is and getting an idea now - I am looking at early next year to be able to afford some, so not rushing anything - just after a bit of advice. I saw yours had gone on here earlier and thought "bother, I'd tried those and know they were good" but I haven't got the cash at the moment I'll keep an eye on eBay, Macleods and the link from tikkamuz and as you say, the right ones will turn up at the right price

Cheers

Adam
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I had the 8.5x43 HG's, wish I'd kept them to be honest, they would be a fantastic second pair to have.

They were upto my 10x42 EL's in performance....

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position