Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gun shops/dealers

gun shops/dealers

Hi all,
    I took my parkerhale .308 in to a local gun shop today to see what they would offer me on a new Tika T3 know i now my old gun is not brand new but the offer of 50 with a T8 mod and Parkerhale mounts left on i thought was shall we say a bit harsh could anyone give me an rough idea what it might be worth the gun is very accurate but a bit on the heavy side as i have a bit of a problem with arthrytis in my wrists and elbow
    Phill

the parker hale mounts are worth 50 all day! depending on exact model maybe more!

I bought the exact same gun in 243
    I sold the T8 in good condition for 100
    the mounts for 40 and 15 (rings and bases seperately
    the gun itself depending on condition could be worth as little as 100 or as much as 300-400

sell it all privately and use the money
    the dealers wont offer you any more as it will probably sit in their shop for 2 years as they need to sell new rifles and more expensive ones to make any money

The dealer has overheads, you don't. They will offer you silly money because it's easier for them to sell new, higher priced rifles than to do a bit of work selling a second hand weapon. The T8 in good nick is worth 100 minimum. The gun is worth twice that in good condition.

The dealer is pulling your chain a bit, basically saying he doesn't want it on his shelves.

Stick an advert in the "for sale" section here, I'm sure someone will take it off your hands for a far more sensible price.

Thanks for the info i will probably do like you said and put on here i will post a picture with it as i am not sure of the model,

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    the parker hale mounts are worth 50 all day! depending on exact model maybe more!

I bought the exact same gun in 243
    I sold the T8 in good condition for 100
    the mounts for 40 and 15 (rings and bases seperately
    the gun itself depending on condition could be worth as little as 100 or as much as 300-400

sell it all privately and use the money
    the dealers wont offer you any more as it will probably sit in their shop for 2 years as they need to sell new rifles and more expensive ones to make any money
    Wrong,

There's between 10-15% margin in new rifles, in some makes not even as much as that. Why do you think companies such as Sportsmans destroy brands like Steyr? Because they have to sell a lot of them cheap as possible to make it worth while - quality is reduced, base cost is reduced to make it more profitable to stock them. I don't know the percentage, but I'm sure most RFD's make their money from the second hand trade (although there are gun which we all know the RFD's can sell second hand all day at 1-2-300% profit (Tikka/Sako/Old Steyr's/Sauer's).

T

As already said,

Sell the gun privately, you'll probably get 4-500 all told, then go back and knock him down on a new gun for cash. I recently took a very nice cased C&H SG to a dealer nr Leeds to part-ex for a rifle I'd seen, the guns worth 450-500 on a bad day. I got offered 150 - so I promptly left and told him where to go -

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Wrong,

There's between 10-15% margin in new rifles, in some makes not even as much as that. Why do you think companies such as Sportsmans destroy brands like Steyr? Because they have to sell a lot of them cheap as possible to make it worth while - quality is reduced, base cost is reduced to make it more profitable to stock them. I don't know the percentage, but I'm sure most RFD's make their money from the second hand trade (although there are gun which we all know the RFD's can sell second hand all day at 1-2-300% profit (Tikka/Sako/Old Steyr's/Sauer's).

T
    10% on a 3k Sauer or 2k Sako is still more than 300% on a 50 parker hale they may or may not shift as gunshops around the country are filled with 400 rifle that are worth 100-200 that no-one wants to buy and the dealers won't knock them down....

This much I do know as I have my eye on a Parker Hale I know the provenance of that is sitting on an RFD's shelf and has been for over 2 years at 450. I offered him 200 knowing full well it cost him 100. wont budge.

Rifle's like these are worth more to the dealer as shelf fillers that dont cost any money.
    not many small businesses have the cash flow to fill their shelves with 1000-3000 rifles. gun shops still need guns in windows/shelves whether or not you will probably end up ordering the one you want and not seeing it until it arrives in their shop.

One thing people forget with the Parker-Hale rifles is that they offered quite a few models some of which are more desirable than others. Seeing one listed correctly at a dealers or in their adverts is a rare thing but woe betide you if you point out that they are not correct and have it listed at the wrong model even with a P-H catalogue as proof. Most dealers refuse to admit they are wrong it seems. Of course this helps as at least you know what type of person your now dealing with and can react accordingly.

a simple solution to the problem , the money your were going to spend on a new rifle , put it aside and save a little more and get it re- barrelled !

then you will have a first class and accurate stalking rifle .

just my opinion