Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono in garden

Chrono in garden

Following on from the earlier thread regarding shooting deer in your own garden if you if an open FAC are you able to chrono a bullet in your own garden? I dont mean shooting 'down range' as such I mean shooting into a suitable purpose made back stop close to the rifle. The reason I ask is in the past when I have developed a load for my rifle it means driving to a suitable area then a 2 mile walk with the rifle and all the gear. Then again to test the next loads and so on. Now before anyone bites my head off, I live in the sticks and have around 1/3 of ann acre of garden. I want to see if this is possible before I call the firearms dept as I am sure they will umm and err. I am only talking a few rounds with a sound mod. Yes I realise this would be a no no if I was living in the centre of london but like I say I am in the country and my nieghbours are all pretty good regarding such issues.... though I think that could be due to the odd bit of venni I give them

Cheers

pete

Edit....forgot to say my garden is cleared for FAC air rifle , that was when I had a closed ticket, police also said to use my shotgun when Charlie came to see the hens.
    Last edited by chickenman; 11-04-2012 at 07:03.

I don't see how using a chrono is relevant. It is shooting in your garden, with all the potential risks/liabilities that this entails.

You have a large garden, live in the sticks, use a sound moderator and have an open certificate. You are also able to provide a suitable bullet catcher. So why are you bothering the firearms department?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Pete,

Are your intended actions likely to cause complaint?

You therefore have your answer.

Stan

[QUOTE=smullery;357580]Pete,

Are your intended actions likely to cause complaint?

You therefore have your answer.

Stan

Fair point and I agree, I doubt any of the folk near me would complain but there is always one who could I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    I don't see how using a chrono is relevant. It is shooting in your garden, with all the potential risks/liabilities that this entails.
    I agree....the same as shooting anywhere though?

I have discharged a firearm in my garden. It's not that huge. All perfectly legal. (used the .410 too)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I generally work on the basis that every thing is legal unless it is illegal, i.e. is there is a law against it? I am often told that in Germany the opposite applies and that every thing is verbotten unless a law has been passed making it legal.

You could always ask the question - What is the difference between illegal and unlawful?
    The one is against the law, the other is a sick bird.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

My garden is actually cleared for FAC air rifle and police told me to use my shotgun if I like when Charlie visits.

it is not really down to the clearance, if you are likely to get complaints that is when it all goes pear shaped.

have you thought about one of these!?:
    http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar139.htm